Baked Chicken Wings – Marinated in a soy sauce, honey, and tomato paste blend, then baked until crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Flavorful wings are hard to resist eating right off the tray. The flavor-infused wings become nice and crispy on the outside, fall apart tender on the inside, and make the perfect appetizer or dinner idea any day of the week.
When YOU make this Chicken Wings Recipe please tag us on @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
If you know me, you know I’m a sucker for chicken wings! It doesn’t matter how they’re made, whether they’re crispy air fryer chicken wings, or baked BBQ wings in the oven if they’re garlicky, saucy, or coated in a mayo marinade. I love them all.
Spicy, sweet, herbed, salty, you name it!
These honey soy chicken wings are so good. They’re made with soy sauce, honey, and tomato paste marinade, but I promise you it’s worth the wait!
This chicken wings recipe is made with a few simple ingredients and once they’re finished marinating, the oven does the rest. Baked until crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, these wings are going to be a hit with everyone!
Serve them with your favorite side dishes or a variety of dipping sauces for your game-day crowd to enjoy!
Ingredients Needed for Honey Soy Chicken Wings
- Chicken Wings: I use about 1 ½ pounds of wings for this recipe. You can use both drumettes and flats. Make sure the tips are removed if you are separating them yourselves.
- For the Marinade: Chopped Onion, soy sauce, tomato paste, honey, salt, and pepper. This combination gives the wings a sweet, salty, and savory flavor with a hint of tomato. It’s enough to make your mouth water once they start baking!
- For Garnish: Thinly sliced onions and fresh chopped cilantro.
How to Make Baked Chicken Wings
Step 1: Clean the wings and pat them dry with paper towels.
Step 2: In a large bowl, add the onion, salt, pepper, soy sauce, tomato paste, and honey. Mix thoroughly and add the chicken wings. Toss them to make sure they’re all evenly coated.
Step 3: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Step 4: Skewer the chicken wings so when it comes time to flip, it’s super quick and easy. Place the chicken wing skewers on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Step 6: Once they are cooked and nice and crispy, serve with sliced onion and cilantro. Enjoy!
Tips for the Best Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- If you have the extra time, I recommend preparing them the night before and letting them marinate overnight for even more flavor!
- The sugar in the honey will caramelize and stick, so it’s a good idea to spray the foil baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Since we’re baking them in the oven, you can double the recipe and use two trays if you’d like more wings!
- For gluten-free baked chicken wings, swap the soy sauce with Tamari or coconut aminos.
- If you don’t have any honey on hand, feel free to use brown sugar instead.
What to serve with baked wings?
The flavor of these wings might remind you of a variation of BBQ sauce (sort of), so a creamy, cooling dipping sauce would be great if you’re serving them as an appetizer.
How long to bake chicken wings at 400?
Every oven is different so you’ll want to keep an eye on them. However, I recommend 40 minutes, making sure to flip at the 20-minute mark.
Use a digital thermometer to determine when they’re fully cooked through. They should have an internal temperature of 165 degrees F when they’re ready.
Can I put them in the air fryer instead?
Certainly! The air fryer basket is much smaller so you’ll probably need to work in batches. Make sure to arrange them in a single layer, without overlapping so the heat circulates. Instead of using skewers, just pause halfway and give the basket a shake.
Air fry for 15-16 minutes at 400F, or until chicken is cooked thru, flipping once. Chicken wings should have an internal temperature of 165 degrees F when they’re ready.
Do I have to marinate chicken wings?
I guess if you’re in a rush, you don’t have to, but I HIGHLY recommend it! It’s the best way to allow the flavors to penetrate the meat and to get the wings nice and tender.
They will still taste great without the long marinating time, but I still think it’s worth the wait!
Baked Chicken Wings
- 1/4 cup cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion sliced
- In a large bowl add chopped onion, salt , black pepper, soy sauce, tomato paste, and honey, give it a good mix then add chicken wings, mix to combine.
- Cover and let marinate for at least 2 hours (better over night) in the fridge. Put chicken wings through bamboo skewers.
- Bake at 400F for 40 min (flip onto other side after 20 min). Serve with sliced onion and cilantro on top. Enjoy!
- If using an air fryer - air fry for 15-16 minutes at 400F, or until chicken is cooked thru, flipping once. Chicken wings should have an internal temperature of 165 degrees F when they’re ready.
Q. Do YOU like this Honey Soy Chicken Wings Recipe?
Let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!