Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes are rich, creamy, and delicious! They’re a classic side dish and we’re taking a few shortcuts to make it even easier for you. Layers of potatoes in a cream sauce smothered in melty cheese make this the best scalloped potatoes recipe you’ll ever try!
This cheesy scalloped potatoes recipe is a cross between traditional scalloped potatoes and potatoes au gratin. It’s made with layers of thinly sliced potato rounds smothered in a thick, creamy herb and garlic-infused sauce, then topped with freshly grated mozzarella and baked until golden and bubbly.
You’re basically getting a 2 for 1 deal on this recipe! I’m only kidding, but I do love the addition of cheese to an otherwise classic dish that usually doesn’t have it.
The recipe for cheese scalloped potatoes is super easy and straightforward. There are only 8 ingredients that go into this simple cheesy comfort dish. Even still, it is elegant and impressive!
I’m always looking for new potato recipes. While I love mashed potatoes sometimes it’s nice to jazz up a side dish and these cheesy potatoes are exactly the way to do it.
Ingredients Needed For Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Potatoes – Russet potatoes are perfect for this recipe. They contain plenty of starch will help to thicken the sauce to a nice rich consistency. You can also use Yukon Gold potatoes if you prefer. Slice them thin.
- Heavy whipping cream – This is the base of the creamy sauce. It contains more fat than milk which I like, but you can absolutely use milk if you want.
- Minced garlic cloves – The aromatic flavor of garlic adds so much to this sauce. Especially when combined with fresh thyme!
- Butter – Melts into the sauce giving it a smoother buttery flavor and texture. So good!
- Salt & pepper – To taste
- Fresh thyme leaves – Fresh herbs are used to brighten up the heaviness of the dish.
- Mozzarella – Freshly grated, please! Nothing pre-shredded as it doesn’t melt as nicely, or taste as good.
Ways to Ramp Up The Scalloped Potato’s Flavor
This recipe is fantastic just the way it is but there are certainly optional add-ins you can include to have a flavor variation. Here are just a few ways.
- Add in diced ham or bacon crumbles.
- Use sweet potatoes instead of Russet potatoes, or do half and half!
- Try a different cheese or a blend. Cheddar is always classic, you could do Gruyere, Swiss, or all of the above.
Top Cooking Tips
- Using a mandolin to slice your potatoes is a game changer! You’ll get even slices in seconds.
- Don’t overcook the potatoes. You may burn the top of the potatoes or they will become too tender and almost mushy! You don’t have to watch the oven like a hawk, but stay close by.
- If you love the idea of a potatoes Au gratin and scalloped potatoes mash up, you can even add some sliced onion to the layers of potatoes.
Now scroll down to get Easy Scalloped Potatoes Recipe & if YOU want more Easy Recipes Updates come over & follow Munchkin Time on my favorite social media, where I share Recipe Updates & more:
Munchkin Time on Instagram!
See YOU there!!!
How to Make Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Step 1: We’re going to boil the sliced potatoes first to cut down on cook time. This will help get them started on their way to tender taters! You can do this one of two ways. First, you can fill a bowl with hot water and microwave sliced potatoes for 15 minutes. Or, you can boil sliced potatoes for 10 minutes on the stovetop. It’s up to you.
Step 2: Once boiled, drain the water, and carefully arrange the first layer of potatoes. Use either a skillet or baking pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Step 3: In a mixing bowl, whisk heavy whipping cream, minced garlic, and butter together, and microwave for a couple of minutes until the butter melts. Pour ⅓ of this mixture over top the first layer of potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with ⅓ of the shredded cheese.
Step 4: Repeat with the remaining 2 layers, but don’t add cheese at the end. Cover with foil and bake for 30-40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese and place it under the broiler for a few minutes until nicely browned and bubbly.
How Long to Cook Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes?
Everyone’s oven is different, so the times may vary slightly, but the average cooking time is about 30-40 minutes. It also depends on how thin you’ve sliced your potatoes.
A good rule of thumb is to check at the 30-minute mark. If they are still not quite there yet, leave them in for the remaining 10 minutes.
What to Serve With Scalloped Potatoes
Why Do You Boil the Potatoes First?
Not only does it make the process quicker, but it also ensures that all of the potatoes are cooked evenly in the end. No one likes to bite into a tender potato one minute and an uncooked potato the next!
How Do I Store Leftovers Scalloped Potatoes?
Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container in the fridge. They should be good for up to 5 days which is great for having some for lunch or dinner throughout the week!
If you have lots leftover, reheat in the oven until warmed through. If not, and you’re just reheating a single serving the microwave will do or a skillet on low heat.
Can I Freeze this Cheesy Scalloped Potato Casserole?
You can! Although sometimes potatoes don’t freeze well, the texture once thawed may be different. It’s a gamble! If you want to give it a go, wrap cooled leftovers in foil and place them in a freezer-friendly bag. Keep frozen for up to 1 month.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- First, place sliced potatoes into a glass bowl, fill it with hot water and microwave for 15 minutes or until potatoes have almost soft texture, stirring few times (or boil sliced potatoes for 10 minutes). Then, pour the water out.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk 2 cups heavy whipping cream, 3 minced garlic and 3 tablespoons butter, microwave for 1-2 minutes, until butter melts.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Carefully arrange the first potato layer in your cast iron skillet or a baking pan. Now pour over 1/3 of the heavy whipping cream mixer, season with salt and pepper and 1/3 of tablespoon fresh thyme leaves. Finally, sprinkle 1/3 of mozzarella cheese. Repeat with other two layers except don't add cheese at the end.
- Cover with foil paper bake for about 30-40 minutes or until potato is cooked thru. Uncover, then sprinkle the rest of the cheese and broil on high for about minutes. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Q. Do YOU like this Easy Scalloped Potatoes Recipe?
Please let me know in the comments below I would love to hear from you!
If you make Cheese Scalloped Potatoes Recipe PLEASE hashtag #munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation! Thank you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Quote of the Day
Have a wonderful day!
This post was updated on June 7, 2022 – the recipe didn’t change!