Chicken Madeira – This Cheesecake Factory copycat recipe has luscious bites of juicy chicken breasts, creamy sauce, buttery vegetables, and melted cheese. It’s an easy restaurant-quality meal that’s sure to delight your family or guests!
This creamy, savory, and Cheesecake Factory Chicken Madeira recipe is so divine. Tender and juicy chicken breasts are surrounded by the creamy Madeira sauce and topped with melted cheese and cooked vegetables. Every bite is bursting with flavor!
When YOU make this Chicken Recipe please tag my name @munchkintimeblog and hashtag #munchkinrecipes on Instagram, I would LOVE to see your creation.
It’s no wonder this is one of the most popular meals at the restaurant. This recipe is so luscious and vibrant, yet so easy to make at home! The list of ingredients is simple and you likely have most of the items already in your pantry.
Layer the cream sauce over top of mashed potatoes and extra asparagus on the side. You’re in luck if you end up with leftovers because they freeze perfectly and can be reheated for weekday lunches or a quick snack. It’s like bringing the restaurant right into your home!
What is chicken Madeira?
You probably recognize this recipe if you’ve ever been to The Cheesecake Factory! Made with juicy chicken, creamy sauce, and melty cheese, Chicken Medeira is made in one pan and uses easy ingredients. The signature ingredient in the savory dinner is Madeira wine, which is a sweet white wine.
What kind of wine do I need?
Madeira wine is one of the key ingredients you need for this recipe. Look for it in the Portuguese section of your local liquor or wine store.
You may not be able to find Madeira wine depending on where you are in the world. In that case, you can replace it with another brand of sweet white wine, a dry port wine like Marsala, dry sherry wine, or even dry vermouth. If you can’t use alcohol, extra chicken broth should do the trick.
Ingredients you need to make this chicken Madeira recipe
This recipe was inspired by The Cheesecake Factory chicken Madeira, which is made mostly from common ingredients. Elevate the flavors in this copycat recipe by using full fat organic cream, homemade chicken broth, and freshly shredded cheese. Here’s what you need:
- Chicken breasts
- Madeira Wine
- Chicken broth
- Olive oil
- Shredded cheese
How to make copycat chicken Madeira
Step 1: Blanch the asparagus in a pot of boiling salted water. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes or until tender.
Step 2: Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Coat each side with flour.
Step 3: Heat the butter and oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for a few minutes on both sides before transferring it to a plate.
Step 4: Add more butter into the pan and cook the mushrooms until soft. Transfer them to the plate with the chicken.
Step 5: Saute the garlic in the pan. Stir in the flour before pouring in the Madeira wine. Next, whisk in the chicken broth and bring the mixture up to a boil for 10 minutes.
Step 6: Add the chicken and mushrooms back into the pan. Sprinkle with cheese and broil on high until the cheese has melted.
Recipe tips and substitutions
- Lighten it up! Feel free to make your chicken Madeira with less butter and cheese to lower the amount of dairy.
- If you want to add more veggies into the meal, you can use even more asparagus or add in broccoli.
- This meal is traditionally served with mashed potatoes in the restaurant, but you can serve it on its own, with Spanish rice, or with roasted vegetables.
Storing, freezing, and reheating tips
Store the leftover cooked chicken, vegetables, and Madeira sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
To reheat the leftovers, place everything in a skillet on the stovetop and heat over medium heat until warmed through. A few minutes in the microwave also works! Feel free to add in a little more chicken broth or wine to thin out the sauce.
More restaurant-quality chicken recipes
Best Chicken Madeira Recipe with Secret Sauce
- 2 chicken breasts sliced in half lengthwise and pound between plastic wrap or zip bag
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons flour divided - 2 tablespoons for sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2-3 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups Madeira Wine sweet white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb asparagus trimmed and blanched
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese
- parsley finely chopped, for garnish
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Then place it in a flour, coating both sides.
- Heat two tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil in the skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken, add in 1 tablespoon of butter then add sliced mushrooms, season with salt and pepper to taste, cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Transfer mushrooms on to a plate. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and garlic, saute for 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and saute for another minutes, stirring the whole time.
- Slowly pour in the Madeira wine whisking continuously to combine with flour mixture, then add chicken broth, bring to a boil and then simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring few times. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms back into the pan. Sprinkle with cheese and broil on high for 3-4 minutes, or until cheese melts. Garnish with parsley. Serve with cooked buckwheat and blanched asparagus.
- How to blanch asparagus: Fill a pot with water and add 1 tablespoon of salt, bring to a boil. Add trimmed asparagus and boil uncovered until tender and bright green 2-3 minutes then remove and set aside until ready for serving.
Did YOU like this Mushroom Chicken Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Quote of the Day
Delish. Served with roasted veggies and wild rice. Wowza!!!
Thank you Lisa! So happy you liked it!
what specific sweet white wine can you use instead?
Hi Danielle! I only used Madeira Wine for this recipe, I haven’t tried other sweet wines yet.
Delicious! I didn’t have asparagus so I mixed fresh baby spinach in the sauce instead. I wanted something different than the same old because my in-laws were here. This was a big hit. Thanks we loved it.
Thank you Candi for your awesome recipe review!
It was simply delish, thanks so much! My hubby loved it he said please make this anytime.
Thank you Jacqueline, for your amazing recipe review! 😀
Amazing!! My husband and I have been married almost 20 years and he said this is the best thing I’ve ever cooked him, hands down! Thanks for the recipe 😉!
Thank you so much Mindy! So happy your husband liked this recipe 🙂
When do you add the heavy whipping cream? In the top of the page it lists that as one of the ingredients but doesn’t during the main recipe
Hi Jessica, that was a typo. It was supposed to be removed, sorry about that!