Creamy Chicken Mushroom Recipe – made with tender juicy chicken thighs and earthy mushrooms all baked at once and then served smothered in a creamy white wine sauce.
This creamy chicken and mushroom recipe is probably one of the easiest baked chicken recipes on the blog. It’s done by adding everything to the baking dish with no sautéing or pan-searing anything first. It’s a great recipe for beginners and anyone feeling like they need a new simple dinner idea!
The seasoned chicken and mushrooms are baked in an aromatic broth and white wine sauce which then gets turned into a rich, thick and creamy gravy that gets poured overtop the chicken and mushrooms before serving. It is so good!
Chicken with gravy and mushrooms is the ultimate comfort meal that your entire family will love! Serve a crowd a special meal or make it on a busy weeknight. Either way, it’s a fuss-free delicious dinner that has amazing flavor!
Ingredients Needed for Creamy Chicken
- Chicken thighs. You’ll need boneless and skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. I like to slice up the pieces for serving, which is easier to do when there are no bones in the way. Trim the fat on each piece.
- Mushrooms. I use a mix of cremini and baby Bella mushrooms but you can use any kind you like. Make sure to scrub them and slice them.
- White wine. Use a dry white wine. It doesn’t need to be expensive, just use what you like or have on hand already.
- Chicken broth. If you have a homemade broth or stock, it’s a great time to use it! Otherwise, a store-bought broth will do. Use low sodium if you’re concerned about the salt content.
- Garlic. Sliced, not minced. We want the garlic flavor to be present but not overpowering.
- Dried thyme. This is a fantastic herb that is a very popular pairing with both poultry and cream sauces.
- Sea salt & pepper. To taste. You’ll notice sea salt is coarser than table or fine salt. This means that the same amount of each one will have a different level of saltiness. If table salt is what you have, use less of it.
- Avocado oil. Needed to create a non-stick surface in the baking dish.
- Parmesan cheese. This is 100% optional as a sharp finish before serving. If you are using it, I highly suggest grating it fresh from a block. It tastes better!
For the sauce, you’ll add heavy cream to the remaining juices. If you want it a bit thicker, add a cornstarch slurry made of cornstarch and cold water. Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley for an optional garnish.
When YOU make this Chicken Mushroom Casserole Recipe please tag my name @munchkintimeblog and hashtag #munchkinrecipes on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation.
How to Bake Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms
Step 1: Set the oven to preheat at 400 degrees F. Grease the casserole dish or baking dish with the avocado oil. Use melted butter if you’d prefer.
Step 2: Lay the mushrooms down at the bottom of the pan, along with white wine, chicken broth, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Use a wooden spoon, spatula, or whisk to give it a good stir.
Step 3: Grab your chicken thighs and lay them down on top of the mushrooms. Brush each chicken thigh with the oil (or melted butter) and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Flip them over and season the other side.
Step 4: Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the casserole dish from the oven and use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a cutting board and transfer the mushrooms to a serving dish.
Step 5: Allow the chicken to sit for a few minutes and then cut the chicken into slices and place them overtop the mushrooms. Tent everything with foil to keep it warm. You can also stick it in the oven on very low.
Now, Let’s Make the Sauce!
Step 1: The sauce is made from the remaining juices left in the casserole dish. You can either place it directly on the stove element for convenience (make sure your dish is ok for that) or pour the juices into a saucepan.
Step 2: Add the heavy cream and bring it to a boil. You may find you like it at this consistency or if you want it a bit thicker, add the cornstarch slurry and allow it to dissolve and thicken your sauce even more.
Step 3: Pour it overtop your resting chicken and mushrooms, sprinkle with parsley and perhaps some Parmesan cheese, and enjoy!
Best White Wine for Cooking
Unless you’re going to be drinking it or serving it to guests, there’s no need to buy anything super expensive. Any dry white wine will do. Below are some of my favorites.
- Sauvignon blanc
- Dry Riesling
- Pinot Grigio
How Do I Know When the Chicken Thighs are Done?
This baked chicken with mushroom gravy recipe is all done in the oven. Once it’s been in there for about 35-45 minutes it should reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. Check with a digital thermometer to be sure.
Can I Use Chicken Breasts Instead?
You can! I find thighs to be juicier and more flavorful, but if you’re looking for leaner chicken breast, or if that’s what you have in the fridge, for sure use it. It’ll be great!
Can I Add Extra Vegetables to This Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Dish?
Sometimes I like to add a handful of spinach towards the end. It wilts in the heat and doesn’t take long at all to cook down. Sliced red bell peppers are also a great option. I would add those in with the mushrooms.
What to Serve With This Chicken and Mushroom Recipe?
It goes great with Instant Pot mashed potatoes, cheesy mashed potatoes with caramelized onion, rice, or pasta. A simple side salad for some fresh raw veggie crunch and a piece of crusty bread to mop up that rich creamy gravy!
More Side-dish Ideas:
Keep any leftovers stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Enjoy leftovers reheated the next day!
Creamy Chicken Mushroom Recipe
- 1 lb mushrooms washed and sliced, I am using cremini and baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup white wine dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 3 large garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme dry spice
- 1 3/4 teaspoon sea salt devided, or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 4 chicken thighs boneless, skinless and fat removed
- avocado oil or melted butter for greasing pan and chicken thighs
- First preheat the oven to 400F and grease casserole dish with avocado oil or melted butter. Next add 1 lb of sliced mushrooms, 1/2 cup of white wine, 1 cup of chicken broth, 3 sliced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon of thyme spice, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and black pepper, to taste. Give it a good mix.
- After place chicken thighs over mushroom and brush with oil or melted butter, then season with half of 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt and black pepper, to taste. Repeat on both sides.
- Bake, uncovered for 35-45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked thru and reaches 160F internal temperature. Using a slottered spoon remove chicken onto a cutting board and mushroom into a serving platter. Slice chicken into slices and place over mushrooms. Keep warm.
- Pour the casserole juices into a pan, add 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream and bring it to a bowl. Next while whisking the sauce add 1 tablespoon of corn starch, simmer until sauce thickens. Give it a taste, if needed season more with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over mushroom and chicken and ganish with finely chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Did YOU like this Creamy Chicken Mushroom Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Quote of the Day