The Best Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole – cheesy mashed potato loaded with lots of cheese and bacon pieces, a must have holiday side dish.
Fluffiest, creamiest & one of the best loaded mashed potatoes you will ever try.
This ultimate mashed potato casserole recipe includes step by step picture instructions so you can follow and make insanely delicious & fail-proof mashed potatoes.
I am planning to make this loaded mashed potato casserole for Thanksgiving side dish this year.
In my family, it is a holiday tradition to have the best mashed potatoes as one of the holiday side dishes.
What to Make with leftover Mashed Potatoes?
If you have leftover mashed potatoes you must try these mouthwatering easy recipes using leftover mashed potatoes:
How to Bake Bacon in the Oven?
How to Make Loaded Mashed Potatoes Casserole:
Garnish mashed potato casserole with crumbled bacon pieces and finely chopped fresh chives. Enjoy!
How to Make Loaded Mashed Potatoes Ahead?
When cooking for the event like Thanksgiving, make this potato casserole ahead by following step 1-3, then cover the casserole and place it in the fridge until you are ready to bake it. About 30 minutes before serving follow step 4-5.
How to store leftover mashed potatoes?
Store leftover mashed potatoes in a airtight container inside the fridge for up to 3 days.
The Best Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- First, place bacon on a baking sheet lined with foil paper and bake at 400F for 10 min or until crispy texture, after finely chop bacon into tiny pieces for garnish & set aside.
- While bacon is baking, peel and slice 5 lb potatoes and place them into a big pot. Cover potatoes with water and bring it to a boil. After potatoes start boiling reduce the heat to medium/high and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until potatoes turn soft when inserted with a knife.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.Drain water and place potato in a big mixing bowl. Now add 3/4 cup sour cream, 1 cup milk, 5 tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper to taste. Blend with a blender until fluffy texture.
- Using a spatula fold in 2 cups of cheese, then trasfer potatoes to a casserole dish, top with 1 cup of shredded cheese and bake uncovered at 350F for 30 minutes or until heated thru.
- Garnish potato casserole with crumbled bacon pieces and finely chopped fresh chives. Enjoy!
- How to Make Loaded Mashed Potatoes Ahead: When cooking for the event like Thanksgiving, make this potato casserole ahead by following step 1-3, then cover the casserole and place it in the fridge until you are ready to bake it. About 30 minutes before serving follow step 4-5.
- What to Make with Mashed Potatoes? If you have leftover mashed potatoes you must try these 3 mouthwatering easy recipes using mashed potatoes:
- How to store leftover mashed potatoes? Store leftover mashed potatoes in a airtight container inside the fridge for up to 3 days.
When YOU make Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole Recipe PLEASE hashtag #munchkintimeblog on Instagram, I would LOVE to see your creation! Thank you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Can this made ahead and frozen?
Hi Lisa, this is a great question. I haven’t made it ahead and froze it, not sure how it will turn out. If I were to make it ahead I would make mashed potatoes and add the rest of the ingredients like cheese into a casserole and place them in the fridge until you are ready to bake it, and I would bake it a little longer or until heated thru. Hope this helps!
Made for Father’s Day 2021! Delicious and very easy directions! Thank you!
Thank you, Kimberly!
All I need is a fork. These loaded potatoes deliver everything in one bowl. They are perfect. Easy directions to follow and that gave me a perfect recipe.
Thank you Eileen! I am so glad you like it!
Oh yum! This mashed potato casserole looks comforting and perfect for my next gathering.
Thank you Linda! It is our favorite mashed potato casserole!
Loaded Mashed Potatoes are amazing! These look great, and will be great for Thanksgiving planning!
Thank you Chad~ These will be perfect for Thanksgiving Planning!
I don’t think mashed potatoes get much better than this. YUM!!!
Thank you Julie! I agree!
This looks so out of this world amazing! Thanks for the recipe!
Thank you so much Jenn!
Wow this was so good! Loved the bacon with the mashed potatoes!
Thank you Ashley! Glad you enjoyed this mashed potato recipe!
Oh, my gosh, my family inhaled this!! It’s definitely going to become a regular side dish. The perfect combo of cheese, potatoes an bacon!!
Thank you so much Liz! I am so glad you and your family enjoyed this mashed potato recipe!
Made this casserole for my family’s cookout last week and everyone loved it! It was all gone within minutes!
Woohoo! I am so glad to hear this! Thank you for sharing your recipe review~
What a tasty side dish! I can’t wait to make it for our gathering next weekend!
Thank you so much, I am glad you like it!