Spicy Lemon Garlic Shrimp – Made with succulent pan-seared shrimp tossed in garlic, cilantro, lemon, and white wine sauce with plenty of seasoning and red pepper flakes for heat!
When YOU make Lemon Garlic Shrimp Recipe, tag us @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
This recipe for lemon garlic shrimp is super flavorful and quick and easy to make which makes it perfect for busy weekdays or when I need a simple protein to add to leftover pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes.
With just a few minutes using simple ingredients and one skillet, the entire dish is ready in a pinch. It’s simple yet great for serving guests as well.
These little guys are so good, you’ll be hard-pressed not to eat them right out of the skillet!
- Jumbo Shrimp, peeled and deveined: I prefer to use jumbo in this case because I find they are much more juicy and succulent. Since they are the main dish and not a part of something else, the bigger the better!
- Olive Oil or butter: For pan searing the shrimp as well as adding to the white wine sauce.
- Minced Garlic Cloves: Gives the shrimp a delicious garlicky flavor that pairs well with the lemon and white wine.
- Paprika: Gives the sauce a nice smoky flavor as well as a bit of red coloring.
- Chili Flakes: For heat! You can use as much or as little as you like.
- Salt, Pepper, and Onion Powder: Season the shrimp just before searing so it gives the outside extra flavor.
- Lemon Juice: Using fresh lemon juice is a great way to brighten up the sauce. It adds a zesty tang which is always great with any kind of seafood.
- White Wine: Use whatever you like to drink. Dry Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc are usually great choices.
- Chopped Cilantro: This isn’t used as a garnish, it’s an ingredient as part of the dish. If you really don’t want to use cilantro you can replace it with parsley.
How to Make Lemon Garlic Shrimp
Step 1: Rinse your shrimp under cold water. Pat them dry with a paper towel and place them in a large bowl.
Step 2: Drizzle the shrimp with olive oil and then season with salt, pepper, paprika, chili flakes and onion powder. Toss to combine.
Step 3: In a large skillet, sear the shrimp in a bit of butter over medium-high heat. Arrange the shrimp in a single layer so they sear evenly on both sides. Once cooked and no longer translucent, transfer them to a plate and set them aside.
Step 4: Pour the wine into the skillet and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Add the butter and minced garlic.
Step 5: Once the garlic browns, add the cilantro and leave it for 1 minute, stirring continuously to avoid burning.
Step 6: Add the shrimp back into the skillet and mix everything. Finish with 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice.
- For a little less buttery flavor on your shrimp, you can sear them in oil AND butter if preferred.
- Only add the shrimp to the skillet once it is nice and hot. That’s how you get the best sear. Otherwise, your lemon cilantro shrimp won’t have that beautiful color on the outside or any of the extra flavor.
- Be careful not to overcook the shrimp. They cook quickly! As long as they are pink and no longer see-through, they’re ready.
- Do not use pre-cooked shrimp. This will definitely cause them to be overcooked and rubbery.
You sure can. I usually keep a bag of frozen shrimp on hand, and if you’re like me, then this recipe will come in handy. Juicy shrimp thaw quickly, so I never worry about forgetting to take it out on time!
I will say, however, that using fresh shrimp is the best way to go. Especially if you’re serving it to dinner guests!
Garlic lemon shrimp is delicious over angel hair pasta, fettuccine, mashed potatoes, rice, cauliflower rice, and zucchini noodles, but it’s just as good on its own!
Keep leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. I don’t recommend freezing them or keeping them any longer than 3 days.
Toss them back in a skillet and reheat over low heat on the stove. You can microwave shrimp just be careful not to overdo it or they’ll become rubbery.
Spicy Lemon Garlic Shrimp
- 2 lb raw shrimp jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1/2 teapoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 9 cloves garlic minced or finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoon chili flakes or to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- Wash shrimp under cold water, after dry shrimp with paper towel and place in a large bowl. Add 1 tbsp butter, salt and black pepper, onion powder, paprika and chili flakes. Mix.
- Over medium-high heat sear shrimp with 2 tablespoon of butter 1 min each side then remove and set them aside.
- Deglaze your skillet with 1/4 white wine, add 4 tablespoons of butter and add minced garlic. Once garlic browns add cilantro, cook on low heat for 1 min (keep stirring so it won’t burn).
Do YOU like this Lemon Garlic Shrimp Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!