15-minute Honey Garlic Shrimp Recipe is made with raw honey, fresh garlic, and soy sauce for that sweet and sticky delicious flavor! The green onions and red pepper flakes add elements of sharpness and spice and the sauce just brings up the entire dish to new levels!
It’s scrumptious, easy, and has just the right of sweet and savory flavors. I can’t wait for you to try it, I just know it’ll become one of your favorite new shrimp recipes!
Serve this honey and garlic shrimp alongside any of your favorite sides and your delicious weeknight meal is served!
- Shrimp – Peeled and deveined. You can choose to keep the tails if you like, but sometimes they’ll already have them removed. It’s up to you how you want to serve it.
- Avocado oil – I use avocado oil to cook them. It’s full of good fats, high in antioxidants and it has a high smoke point.
- Cornstarch – This is used to coat the shrimp before adding them to the hot pan. It allows it to form a bit of a brown crust and when mixed with the sauce, it’ll help to thicken it up.
- Minced garlic & Grated ginger – Two deliciously aromatic flavors that pair well with honey and soy sauce.
- Honey – We use raw honey, which comes with a ton of antioxidant properties and is unprocessed. It’s got a ton of vitamins and minerals that haven’t been stripped by heat and tastes great. You can use whatever honey you’ve got on hand.
- Soy sauce – Use low sodium soy sauce if preferred. You can also use a gluten-free alternative like Tamari or coconut aminos. The taste will vary slightly.
- Crushed red pepper – Add as much as you want to make it as spicy as you want!
- Green onion – For garnish.
How to make Honey Garlic Shrimp:
Step 1: Once your shrimp has been peeled and deveined, if they didn’t already come that way, pat them dry with a paper towel.
Step 2: In a small mixing bowl, combine garlic, ginger, honey, and soy sauce. Mix to combine and set it aside.
Step 3: Toss around the shrimp in a bowl with cornstarch, making sure they’re all evenly coated.
Step 4: Heat avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. If you have a cast-iron skillet use it! Otherwise, a regular skillet will work.
Step 5: Add shrimp to the skillet in a single layer, being careful not to overlap. Cook for about 1 minute on each side until the shrimp are cooked through. Remove them onto a plate once they are cooked.
Step 6: Pour in the soy sauce and honey mixture you have set aside and bring it to a boil. Cook it for about 2 minutes before returning the shrimp back into the pan.
Step 7: Coat each of the shrimp with the sauce and remove from the heat. Serve on top of a bed of rice or alongside some potatoes or veggies. Garnish with red pepper flakes and green onions and enjoy!
- Work in batches. If you have a smaller skillet, use a smaller number of shrimp at once time so that you’re not overcrowding them. Otherwise, they won’t cook evenly.
- Deglaze pan. Once you’ve removed the shrimp and made room for the sauce, don’t forget to scrape off any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. This will deliver a ton of extra flavor into your sauce.
- Use fresh or frozen shrimp. As long as it’s thawed first, frozen shrimp is great. Especially if you’re looking for already deveined and peeled.
- Try using this sauce on different things! Chicken, pork, salmon, and even veggies!
Ways to Serve this Honey Garlic Shrimp Recipe
Honey garlic shrimp is so versatile! It’s a great protein to work with, especially if you’re looking to add new seafood recipes to your weekly menu.
We love it with the following yummy sides:
- Easy fried rice
- Brown rice
- White rice
- Instant Pot mashed potatoes
- Avocado corn salsa
- Steamed broccoli
- Roasted mixed vegetables
Are there any additional ways to add extra flavor to the honey garlic sauce?
While I do think this honey garlic sauce is perfect as is, I know some readers have enjoyed adding a bit of pineapple juice to theirs for added sweetness and chopped candied walnuts for added crunch!
You might even want to try adding pineapple chunks in there too for a twist.
Can I use shrimp that’s already cooked?
If you have a package of frozen cooked shrimp, by all means, use it. Again, you’ll want to make sure the entire package is thawed first.
You can then skip the initial step and go right to cooking the sauce. You’ll heat the shrimp through when you add it to the sauce.
Can I double this recipe?
Easily! In fact, you could triple it if you wanted. Make the required amount of sauce, increase the amount of shrimp and follow the directions as listed.
The only thing you really want to make sure to do, is as mentioned above, do not overcrowd the skillet!
Easy Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
Honey Garlic Shrimp Recipe and Broccoli
20-Minute Bang Bang Shrimp Air Fryer
5 Easy Steps PERFECT Shrimp Scampi
Honey Garlic Shrimp
- 1-2 lb Shrimp
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil more if needed
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger grated
- 4 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper more if you like it hot
- green onion for garnish chopped
- In a mixing boil combine 2 teaspoon of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of ginger, 4 tablespoons of honey, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, mix and set aside.Coat each shrimp in corn starch. Pour avocado oil into a big skillet over medium/high heat (cast iron works best for this recipe, if you don't have one it is ok to use regular skillet).
- Add shrimp and cook for 1 minute on each side, or until shrimp is cooked thru. If you have a small skillet it will be best to work in batches. Remove shrimp from the skillet onto a plate.Add the sauce into the skillet and bring it to boil. Cook for about 2 minutes. Return shrimp back to the skillet, coat with the sauce, remove from the heat. Garnish with crushing pepper flakes and green onion. Enjoy!
Q. Do YOU like this HONEY Garlic Shrimp Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
~If you make this Easy Shrimp Recipe PLEASE tag @munchkintimeblog on Instagram? We would LOVE to see your creation! Thank you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Have an AMAZING day!
This post was updated on April 18,2022. The recipe is still the same delicious!
I don’t have fresh ginger so you think powder ginger would work?
I haven’t tried it with ginger powder yet, I am sure it will taste just as good. Hope this helps.
This dish was delicious! I made it for dinner tonight and my family ate it in 10 minutes and asked for more!
So happy to hear this, Ann! Thank you for sharing your awesome recipe review!
My hubby loved it! Said the sauce was A+++