Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole – This Hashbrown Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole is made of grated golden potato, a Colby & Monterey Jack cheese blend, and an egg mixture made of diced ham, green onions, and fresh tomatoes. Baked until golden, this easy casserole is one your whole family will love!
Making a hashbrown breakfast casserole is a great way to feed a crowd an all-in-one breakfast without a lot of effort!
It’s made with a layer of hashbrown and cheese as the crust and then it’s topped with a rich, cheesy, egg mixture filled with ham and green onions. Baked until golden on top, this easy casserole is ready in just 35 minutes!
You can make it even easier by using pre-shredded hashbrowns and leftover holiday ham!
Complete with carbs, protein, and veggies, this breakfast hashbrown casserole has been on the blog for a while now, but lately, it’s been on heavy rotation at my house!
My family loves all kinds of casseroles, whether it’s Cheesy Potato Casserole, Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole, or an egg and ham potato casserole like this one! We love it so much, we even have it for lunch and dinner sometimes too!
It might be because as the kids get older, life seems to get busier, and having something ready to feed them that is healthy, high in protein, and delicious is a major mom win!
- Hashbrowns: You’ll need 3 cups of grated potatoes. You can grate your own peeled, Golden potatoes or use frozen hashbrowns, thawed and squeezed of any moisture.
- Cheese: I use a blend of Colby and Monterey Jack cheese, but of course you can use your favorite kind.
- Cream Cheese: Bring it to room temperature at least 30 minutes ahead of time. That way it’s nice and soft and easy to blend.
- Eggs: Lots of eggs! You’ll need 8 eggs for this dish.
- Black Pepper: For seasoning!
- Ham: Diced or cubed ham. This is a great opportunity to use any dinner leftovers!
- Green Onion: Chopped and divided. Some will be used in the casserole and sautéed with the ham and the rest will be used as garnish.
- Tomatoes: Washed and diced. Heirloom or Roma tomatoes are great choices.
- Butter: To grease the casserole dish.
- Bacon: Cooked bacon crumbs are an optional garnish. They add a bit of smoky salty flavor at the end!
How to Make a Breakfast Casserole
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 450 F and grease the baking dish. If you’ve grated your own potatoes, rinse them under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels.
Step 2: Place the hashbrowns into the bottom of the prepared baking dish and press it down into an even layer. Season with salt & pepper to taste and add 1 cup of the cheese overtop. Bake it for 15 minutes until the top is golden.
Step 3: In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the cream cheese until it’s smooth for about 3-5 minutes. Add one egg at a time, while continuously whisking until the eggs are all combined with the cream cheese. Season with black pepper.
Step 4: Meanwhile, sauté the ham and green onion in a skillet over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle this mixture into the egg mixture.
Step 5: Once the potato hashbrown crust is done baking, pour the egg mixture overtop. Bake it for 10 minutes until the middle of the pie is set.
Step 6: Sprinkle with remaining cheese, tomatoes, and green onion, and enjoy it right away!
Feel free to make this hashbrown breakfast casserole your own!
- Swap the ham for breakfast sausage, chicken, bacon, or ground beef instead.
- Use your favorite cheese. Sharp cheddar cheese is always a good idea!
- Sauté extra veggies with your ham and green onions. Bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, and cauliflower would all make a yummy addition.
- If you prefer a thinner layer of eggs, use just 6 eggs instead of 8.
- You can also substitute hashbrown patties, potato cubes, or tater tots for the hashbrowns.
How long does it take to bake a breakfast casserole?
If you’re baking it at 450 degrees F like I do, then you won’t need more than 10 minutes. You want to bake it until the top is golden and the egg mixture is set. Overcooking it could lead to a dry casserole and rubbery eggs!
The lower your temperature, the more time it’ll need in the oven. You know your oven best, just keep an eye on it.
How to store leftover hashbrown breakfast casserole?
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge. Have a quick and easy breakfast, lunch, or snack to enjoy at home or at work throughout the week!
Can you freeze breakfast casserole?
Definitely! Once you’ve cut them into pieces and they’re completely cooled, wrap them in plastic wrap and transfer them to a freezer bag. Keep them frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw them in the fridge overnight.
How to reheat leftovers?
To reheat this dish, simply place it in the skillet, add a little amount of water, and cook on medium heat until it’s hot.
If you have just one piece to heat up, you can easily just pop it in the microwave.
Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 450F.Butter medium size baking dish. Grate potato then rinse it with cold water. Place potato into greased baking dish, press it down to make an even layer. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and evenly spread 1 cup of cheese, bake for 15 minutes or until the top turns golden color.
- In stand mixer whisk cream cheese until smooth, about 3-5 minutes. Add 1 egg at a time, whisk, until combined. Season with salt & black pepper, to taste.
- Place ham and 1/2 cup green onion in the skillet and saute it over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes. Stirring couple times. Add ham and onion into egg mixture.
- After potato done baking pour the egg mixture over the top, then bake for 10 minutes or until middle of the pie is set.
- Add left over cheese, cubed tomatoes, green onion. Serve while hot enjoy!
Q. – Do YOU like this Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thank you for stopping by!
Huge Thank You going to Fred Meyer Stores for sponsoring this recipe!
Quote Of The Day
Have a wonderful day!