Baked Chicken and Potatoes is an all-in-one baked dish where chicken thighs & shiitake mushrooms are topped with potatoes and then smothered in a mayo and cheese topping. An easy way to feed a crowd any day of the week!
This chicken and potatoes recipe is hands down one of our favorite family meals that comes together quickly and easily and has all the makings of a traditional meal with tons of shortcuts!
It’s made with just 7 simple ingredients that you probably already have. It’s great for busy weeknights and is budget-friendly because chicken thighs are very cost-effective. It’s a layered dish with chicken thighs, mushrooms, topped with sliced potatoes, mayonnaise, and shredded mozzarella cheese. Once baked, the chicken is juicy and tender, the potatoes are golden, and the cheese is melty and bubbly.
You can enjoy it as a complete meal or finish it with a side of veggies or a salad. Whatever you do, double the recipe because trust me, everyone will want seconds!
Ingredients Needed for Baked Chicken Thighs and Potatoes
We’re not using heavy cream or béchamel sauce. There’s no need to make a roux or dirty up more pots to make any kind of gravy. And yet still, these potatoes turn out moist, and tender, and the topping is creamy and cheesy as can be!
- Chicken thighs: Tons of flavor thanks to the dark meat and more fat than chicken breast. I fillet the thighs so they are nice and thin for quick, even baking.
- Butter: Grass-fed butter is my favorite, we also like to use ghee.
- Mushrooms: We love using shiitake mushrooms, you are welcome to use any mushrooms of your choice like white or portobello mushrooms.
- Potatoes peeled and sliced: Use any type of potato you like. Russet potatoes, Yukon golds, or even red potatoes will work.
- Mayonnaise: I use a squirt bottle which makes it easier to drizzle on top of the potatoes!
- Cheese: Freshly grated cheese from a block, please! None of that pre-shredded stuff, it doesn’t melt as nicely or taste as good. I use mozzarella, but you can use what you like. Swiss, Cheddar, Gruyere, a blend, etc.
- Salt & pepper: To taste.
How to Make Baked Chicken and Potatoes
Step 1: Place chicken in an oven-proof baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Step 2: Add a layer of thinly sliced potatoes over the chicken thighs. It’s OK if some of them overlap a bit.
Step 3: Drizzle mayonnaise over the potatoes. If you are using a jar of mayo, add a few dollops and then spread it out across the potatoes using a spoon or spatula. It doesn’t need to be perfect!
Step 4: Add the topping of shredded cheese then cover the entire dish with foil.
Step 5: Bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour or until potatoes are cooked thru, then remove the foil and broil it until nice and golden and bubbly, about 1-2 minutes. Keep an eye on it, the broiler works fast!
Serve it while it’s hot and add some fresh herbs for garnish, if desired. Enjoy!
- To peel or not to peel. My kids prefer when I peel the potatoes in this recipe, but it’s not a must. Especially when using thin, delicate-skinned potatoes, you can skip the peeling and keep the skin on.
- Even slices. Using a mandolin to slice the potatoes is a great way to make them all even thickness. This will help bake them evenly so you don’t end up with some soft and tender and other pieces underdone.
- A different cut of meat. You can swap the chicken thighs for chicken breast, however, I find it’s not as flavorful and juicy because it is a leaner meat. You might want to add a bit more seasoning in this case.
- Make ahead. Prepare this dish up to 24 hours ahead of time by slicing the potatoes and keeping them in a bowl of ice water. Do not salt the water! Then, when you’re ready pat them dry and use them up.
What to Serve with Baked Chicken Thighs and Potatoes
Since this dish already has the main components of a meal, all you need to complete it is a side of veggies or a salad. Here is a list of my favorites for inspiration:
Baked Chicken and Potatoes with Mushrooms
- baking dish
- 4 chicken thighs fat removed and cut into slices
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 4 tablespooons butter melted
- salt & pepper to taste
- 5 golden potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 oz mozarella cheese or any cheese of your choice, shredded
- mayo about 1/2 cup, or enough to cover the potatoes
- 1 tablespoon parsley finely chopped for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place sliced chicken thighs, sliced mushrooms, butter into baking dish then season with salt and pepper, mix everything with hands.
- Add sliced potatoes.
- Next drizzle mayonnaise over the potatoes, or spread it with a spoon to cover the top of potatoes.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Cover with foil paper and bake for 1 hour, or until potatoes are cooked thru and feel soft when pierced with a fork or a knife. Remove the foil paper and broil on high for 1-2 minutes, or until golden color. Enjoy baked potatoes with cucumber salad.
When YOU make this Chicken and Potatoes Recipe please tag my name @munchkintimeblog and hashtag #munchkinrecipes on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation.
Did YOU like this Baked Chicken Thighs and Potatoes?
Let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Quote of the Day