Apple Fritters – are the best homemade apple fritters that are so impressive, yet super easy to make! Serve warm after dipping them in silky white glaze or a scoop of ice cream and you’ve got a drool-worthy dessert!
This apple fritters recipe is a fun, quick, and easy donut-like recipe that has all the flavors of everything we love about an apple dessert in a simple no-fuss treat. It’s made with delicious diced apples coated in batter and fried until golden brown and crispy on the outside and warm and fluffy on the inside.
When I discovered just how easy it was to make homemade apple fritters, it became very hard for me to ever go back to buying them again. Whether freshly made from a bakery or not! This recipe for apple fritters has become my go-to for special occasions as well as an easy family dessert. It’s a family favorite and I know you’ll love them too!
- Dry ingredients: You’ll need flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Wet ingredients: Milk, 1 egg yolk and 2 egg whites, and melted butter.
- Apples: Peeled, cored, and diced.
- Lemon juice: Adding a little lemon juice helps to add a bit of tartness to balance out the sweetness. The acid will also help to stabilize the egg whites keeping the dough nice and puffy. The citrus juice will also help to keep the apples from turning brown. So, it’s multipurpose!
- Oil for frying: You can use any oil of your choice as long as it’s good for frying and has a high smoke point. I use avocado oil as it’s usually what I have on hand.
- Powdered sugar: A little dusting on top of freshly made apple fritters is amazing!
- Milk – use whole milk for the glaze.
- Vanilla Extract – for that yummy vanilla flavor.
When YOU make this Apple Recipe, take a picture & tag your Food Creation on Instagram using @MunchkinTimeBlog & hashtag #munchkinrecipes, we would love to see your creation!
How to Make Apple Fritters
Step 1: Combine all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Mix until everything is combined.
Step 2: In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients, which includes just 1 egg yolk. The egg whites will be beaten separately.
Step 3: Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together until it’s a smooth consistency and there are no lumps.
Step 4: In a third bowl, combine the apple cubes with the lemon juice. Set that aside. Whip the egg whites separately until stiff peaks. Then gently fold them into the batter. DO NOT over mix, you don’t want to lose any of the trapped air.
Step 5: Fold in the apples and allow the batter to sit until you’ve preheated 1-2 inches of oil in a Dutch oven or deep pot over medium heat.
Step 6: Scoop out 1 Tablespoon at a time of the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden. Flip over and continue frying until it’s golden on the other side.
Step 7: Immediately transfer apple fritters to a paper towel-lined plate. After fritters cool off a little dip each one into silky white glaze and place it on a cooling rack to let the extra glaze drip down into a baking sheet. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
Apple Fritters Recipe Tips
- Make sure oil is hot before dropping in the batter!
- You can make these fritters using a different fruit. Think bananas or pears!
- During the cooler months, you could add a bit of nutmeg into the dry ingredients along with the cinnamon for an even deeper spiced flavor.
- Keep the oil at the same temperature with every batch. A thermometer is the best way to do this. That way you won’t burn any you make as it continues to heat up!
- For a larger fritter, feel free to use a trigger-release ice cream scoop to scoop out the batter into the oil. I enjoy small ones so a Tablespoon is just fine for me, but you do you!
Why are My Apple Fritters Soggy?
The main problem is probably that the oil isn’t hot enough. What happens is if you drop a fritter in too early, it begins to absorb the oil as it continues to heat up. This will cause the dough to become super greasy and everything soggy!
What to Serve with Apple Fritters?
I love a simple fritter with a silky glaze but you could do a drizzle of honey or caramel sauce or chocolate sauce. A scoop of ice cream or whipped cream wouldn’t hurt either!
Best Apples to Use for Apple Fritters?
I always use granny smith apples as they are nice and tart and hold their texture enough to not become super soft. You can really use any apples you have on hand, however just know, their textures won’t all be the same. A sweeter apple choice would be Golden delicious or Ambrosia apples.
These fritters are best served immediately. I don’t recommend storing them as they will become soggy overtime. The good thing is they’ll be devoured in no time, so best to just keep them on the counter, covered with a paper towel and let people just grab one throughout the day!
Check Out These Easy Fall Recipes:
New York Strip Steak Grill Recipe
Cheesy Hot Beef Sandwich Recipe
Easy Baked Beef Chimichanga Recipe
Cheese Steak Chimichangas Recipe
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs separated 1 egg yolk and take 2 egg whites and beat until stiff peak forms
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 3 medium apples peeled and cored and cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- avocado oil for frying, or any oil of your choice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Using a mixing bowl combine dry ingredients - 1 1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, mix until everything is combined.
- In a different bowl whisk together wet ingredients - 2/3 cup milk, 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Now, stir in wet ingredients with dry ingredients, until there are no lumps.
- In a different bowl mix 3 cubed apples with 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Fold in 2 beat egg whites into the batter, next fold in apples.
- Preheat 1-2 inch of oil in a dutch oven or deep skillet, over medium heat. Drop 1 tablespoon of batter into the hot oil and fry until golden color, flip on the other side and fry until golden color. Transfer onto a plate lined with paper towel.
- Lastly, dip into silky glaze and place apple fritters on a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet to drip extra glaze. Take a bite and enjoy!
How to Make Silky Glaze
- Whisk all glaze ingredients in a bowl. Use right of way.
Q. Do YOU like this Apple Fritters Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!