Cream of Mushroom Soup – Made with tender, flavorful, and earthy mushrooms including Bella and shiitake mushrooms, in a seasoned creamy white wine broth. This comforting and soul-warming soup recipe is perfect for cold weather days or when you have plenty of mushrooms to use up!
When YOU make this Creamy Mushroom Recipe please tag us on @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
This soup recipe was made in partnership with the Boise Co-op. The Boise Co-op has been providing fresh, local and organic products since 1973. Learn more about the Boise Co-op here.
I love homemade cream of mushroom soup so much that I’ve created two different recipes for it! My original easy cream of mushroom soup recipe uses only Bella mushrooms in a thick creamy white wine broth.
However, this jazzed-up version uses 2 different kinds of mushrooms, carrots, homemade bone broth, also in a creamy white wine broth.
Both are similar, earthy, savory, and full of flavor, but because I love mushrooms so much, I figured why not have more than one classic mushroom soup recipe on hand?
If you’re a lover of mushrooms like me, or are looking to be converted, I promise you, this fresh and flavorful soup is for you.
It’s easy to make in one pot and it’s rich and hearty enough to fill even your hungriest crowd. Mostly because everyone will be having more than one bowl!
Ingredients in Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Olive Oil & Butter: I love using both to sauté the veggies to give them a chance to brown nicely and also to give the base of the soup a rich buttery flavor.
- Aromatics and Veggies: Shallots, and Carrots to give the cream of mushroom soup extra flavor and a bit of texture. Tender carrots are a great pairing with mushrooms.
- Mushrooms: I use a combination of baby Bella mushrooms and shiitake mushrooms for extra earthiness and a deeper flavor of delicious mushrooms!
- Dried Thyme: Thyme, butter, and mushrooms with white wine is a common combination of ingredients that works so well.
- Flour: Used to thicken the soup broth.
- White Wine: No need to buy expensive wine. Use whatever you have on hand or what you like to drink. Pinot Grigio, Riesling, or Sauvignon Blanc will all work.
- Bone Broth: Highly nutritious and super flavor, homemade bone broth is my favorite choice of broth for this recipe.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Adding heavy cream to the soup lightens up the color and gives it a creamier consistency.
- Salt & Pepper: To taste.
- For Garnish: Microgreens, a drizzle of olive oil, and Parmesan cheese!
How to Make Cream of Mushroom Soup
Step 1: In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil and butter. Sauté the shallots and carrots for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic to cook for another minute.
Step 2: Add the mushrooms and thyme (reserving a few mushrooms for garnish, about 1/2 cup) and stir a few times, to make sure everything is cooking down evenly.
Step 3: Stir in the bone broth and ½ cup of white wine. Season with salt and pepper and bring it to a boil.
Step 4: Reduce the heat and allow it to simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes. Don’t walk away, you’re going to need to stir it a few times while it simmers.
Step 5: Towards the end of the simmering time, stir in heavy whipping cream. Remove it from the heat and do a little taste test. Season to taste, if necessary. Blend soup with hand blender until desired texture.
Serve with a reserved sauteed mushrooms, some microgreens, and if you want, a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese!
- Make sure to add the cream once it is simmering and then remove it from the heat immediately. If it’s too hot it will start to curdle and we don’t want that.
- To make this without any alcohol, omit the wine and replace it with the same amount of bone broth.
- You can use traditional chicken stock or broth as well as store-bought broth if that’s what you have.
- For a lighter consistency, not quite as thick and rich, use half and half instead of heavy whipping cream.
- I love the texture of tender mushrooms in my soup, but you’re welcome to use an immersion blender to purée it until smooth if that’s what you prefer.
- Use cayenne pepper for an extra kick.
Is cream of mushroom soup gluten-free?
Due to using a roux made with flour to thicken up the soup, this cream of mushroom soup is not gluten-free.
However, it definitely can be made gluten-free if you substitute regular all purpose flour for gluten-free all-purpose flour or add a cornstarch slurry to thicken the soup afterward.
What to serve with it?
Just one bowl of this hearty soup will leave you satisfied, so it doesn’t need much! You can add croutons on the top or even some bacon bits if you want something more than microgreens.
Whatever you do, I recommend serving it with pita bread to scoop up every last drop of the creamy mushroom soup.
If you have leftover mushrooms, whip up this chicken mushroom cheese bread to pair with your soup!
Is cream of mushroom soup the same as condensed cream of mushroom soup?
No! Condensed soup means most of the water has been taken out, which means in order to make it soup again, water needs to be added to it. The cream of mushroom soup recipe isn’t condensed and it’s ready to eat right away.
Condensed soups are great for adding creaminess and flavor to casseroles, but if you were to use soup it would be too runny. Plus this soup is way too delicious not to eat a whole bowl on its own!
How long will leftovers last?
When kept in the fridge in an airtight container, it’ll stay fresh for up to 3 days. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop over medium-low heat.
Can I freeze mushroom soup?
Once it has cooled completely, freeze the cream of mushroom soup in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight. You may need to adjust the consistency with a little splash of cream or broth when reheating.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped or minced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 16 oz shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme dried
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cups bone broth homemade is best
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil and butter over medium heat in a big pot. Add shallots and carrot and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring few times. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring few times.
- Now add bella and shiitake mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon of thyme and cook for 5 minutes, stirring few times. Reserve some of the mushrooms for garnish (about 1/2 cup).
- Sprinkle flour over mushrooms, cook for 2 minutes mixing with a spoon. Stir in 4 cups of bone broth and 1/2 cup of white wine, season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After stir in 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, once it starts simmering, remove from the heat. If needed season with more salt and pepper to taste. Serve with micro greens, reserved sauteed mushrooms and grated Parmesan cheese.
- At the end sprinkle cayenne pepper for an extra kick.
Q. Do YOU like this Easy Mushroom Soup Recipe?
Let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!