Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe – Creamy & incredibly rich soup made with Bella mushrooms and a cream and white wine broth. It is out of this world delicious! Serve it with these amazing hot beef sandwiches for a hearty and delicious meal!
When YOU make Cream of Mushroom Soup please tag us on @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
Learn to make homemade mushroom soup and forget about canned soup for good! It’s so easy and made with just a few simple ingredients and it’s ready to serve in minutes.
This rich and creamy soup is a bowl of everything warm and cozy brimming with the mouthwatering flavors of earthy mushrooms. You’ll be slurping every last drop out of your bowl!
First we brown the mushrooms in butter along with aromatics and then we add some flour to thicken it up and then add the chicken broth, cream, and white wine for extra rich flavor.
From now on, anytime you’re craving a hearty bowl of mushroom soup, this easy cream of mushroom soup recipe is one you’ll keep coming back to!
Enjoy it for a nice light lunch with a few crackers on the side or dinner with a side salad and a piece of crusty bread. You could even serve it as a starter when you’re serving guests!
Ingredients for Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Butter: Using butter rather than oil to saute the garlic and onion and brown the mushrooms gives the soup that much more flavor. There’s magic that happens when you cook onion and mushrooms in butter.
- Onion & Garlic: Aromatic ingredients that add a depth of flavor that starts off as the foundation of the rest of the soup.
- Mushrooms: I use sliced Bella mushrooms because they’re usually what I have on hand and I like the taste of them. With mushroom soup you can pretty much use any mushrooms you like. Even a combination of a few different kinds would be great.
- Salt & Pepper: A bit of seasoning to taste and enhance the overall flavor.
- Flour: This will help thicken the soup. My version isn’t too thick, so if you like it a bit thicker, you can add an extra Tablespoon.
- Chicken Broth: This is the base liquid of the soup. I highly recommend using homemade chicken broth if you can!
- White Wine & Heavy Cream: The cream adds a rich and creamy consistency while the wine helps to lighten it up. Use whatever wine you prefer to drink, because you won’t be using the whole bottle! Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, and Riesling will all work.
- Parsley: Fresh herbs add the perfect finishing touch!
How to Make Cream of Mushroom Soup
Step 1: In a stock pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium high heat, then sauté chopped onion for 5 minutes, until translucent.
Step 2: Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and cook until softened and golden brown. This should take about 5 minutes.
Step 3: Sprinkle the flour into the pot and stir with the mushrooms. Pour in the wine, stir and cook for about 1 minute until combined and the flour is dissolved.
Step 4: Slowly pour in the chicken broth, whisking continuously as you pour and bring it to a gentle boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Step 5: Finally, add the heavy cream to the soup and stir to combine. Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
- If you prefer a smooth consistency to your cream of mushroom soup, puree it in a blender until your desired consistency is reached.
- To thicken your soup even more, add 4 Tablespoons of flour instead of 3. If you only notice this after you’ve made your soup, you can also thicken it with a cornstarch slurry.
- For extra herbs, you can use thyme along with the parsley, or you can try something like oregano, cilantro, or rosemary.
- Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
What to Make with Cream of Mushroom Soup
You may be considering replacing store-bought canned soup with homemade cream of mushroom soup in your casseroles and sauces. However, the cans of soup are condensed and much thicker, so it won’t always make sense to substitute it.
If you were to thicken your soup you could use it to smother juicy pork chops or a nice baked chicken breast. You could also add it to a noodle casserole or use it to make chicken and mushroom alfredo pasta.
How to make cream of mushroom soup a little heartier?
I think cream of mushroom soup has a ton of flavor as is, but there are a couple of ways you can add even more. For example, swap the chicken broth for beef broth, or add in some shredded chicken or diced ham for added protein.
Is there a way to make dairy-free cream of mushroom soup?
Sure! Use coconut oil or olive oil to sauté everything and then swap the cream for full fat coconut milk.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- To make cream of mushroom soup, first turn on the heat over medium-high heat. Using a pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, then add 1 finely chopped onion and saute until translucent, 5 minutes.
- Next, add 1 minced clove of garlic and stir, and cook for 1 minute. Add 8 oz of sliced mushrooms, salt, and pepper to taste and cook until they begin to turn golden brown color, about 5 minutes.
- After, add 3 tablespoons of flour and stir with the mushrooms, until combined. Pour in 1/4 cup of white wine, stir, and cook until combined, about 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in 4 cups of chicken broth, stirring continuously while adding chicken broth, bring to a gentle boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Finally, add 1/4 cup of heavy cream and stir to combine. If desired, blend soup to your desired consistency with a blender. Serve hot, garnished with parsley. Enjoy!
- I would highly recommend using this Homemade Chicken Broth when cooking this mushroom soup recipe.
- This soup is not super thick, if you like thicker soup add 4 tablespoons of flour instead of 3 tablespoons, to thicken it up.
- Store mushroom soup in airtight container inside the fridge for 1-2 days.
Q. Do YOU like this Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Quote of the Day