Parmesan Zucchini Bites – Crispy-tender zucchini rounds dredged in a buttermilk, Parmesan cheese, and garlic coating then pan fried until crispy and golden on the outside and tender on the inside. These little zucchini garlic bites are crazy delicious and make an ideal snack for kids and adults alike!
When YOU make Parmesan Zucchini Bites Recipe please tag us @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
Parmesan crusted zucchini bites are unlike the usual fritter recipes you see so often. There is no grating zucchini involved, there’s just slicing which is so much easier! Plus, there’s no need to spend time squeezing water out of the zucchini.
I dust the pieces with a bit of flour so the coating sticks, and the results are amazing!
You can enjoy these low carb bites as an appetizer with a dipping sauce, an anytime snack, or serve them as your veggie side dish. They’re impressive, delicious, and so simple to make!
Next time you’re looking for a different way to use up the zucchini in your fridge, this zucchini bites recipe is a must-try!
- Zucchini: Use 1 large or 2 small zucchinis. The great thing about this recipe is that you can really make as many zucchini bites as you need, as long as you work in batches. Double or triple the recipe if you’d like!
- For the coating: Eggs, buttermilk, minced garlic, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Flour: Just a bit for dusting the zucchini to help the coating stick. There is a lot of water in zucchini and since we can’t squeeze it out we’ll help absorb it with the flour.
- Avocado oil: This is for cooking. As you know I love my avocado oil, but you can certainly use what you prefer. Olive oil is great, as is any cooking oil with a high smoke point.
How to Make Zucchini Bites
Step 1: Wash and dry your zucchini. Do not peel it, the skin is delicate and edible, but it also helps to keep its shape while its cooking. Slice the zucchini into ¼-½ inch rounds and set them on a paper towel lined plate.
Step 2: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Then, add the Parmesan, garlic, flour, salt, and pepper. Set that aside.
Step 3: Preheat oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle both sides of the zucchini with flour, then dip each one into the buttermilk and cheese mixture. I like to use one hand for this (keeping the other one clean), but you can also use tongs if preferred.
Step 4: Add zucchini one at a time into the hot oil and cook until golden on both sides. Flip halfway. Use a slotted spoon to transfer cooked zucchini to a paper towel-lined plate and continue cooking the remaining zucchini.
Recipe Tips for Zucchini Bites
- Slice zucchini into even-sized rounds for even cooking.
- Make sure the oil is hot before adding the zucchini. Otherwise, it will absorb too much of the oil while it waits for the oil to get hot, leading to soggy zucchini bites!
- Swap the Parmesan cheese with another type of cheese for a different flavor. Grated cheddar or Swiss are both yummy choices.
- To make these gluten-free, use a gluten-free flour.
- Do not overcrowd the pan. This will not only prevent them from browning evenly on the outside, but the more zucchini are added, the lower the temperature of the oil will get. Again, we want crisp zucchini!
Are zucchini bites healthy?
Yes! Zucchinis themselves are a healthy vegetable. They’re a summer squash, so when they’re in season, or when they’re growing in the garden, I always make sure to include it in our meals.
They’re full of antioxidants, and rich in vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients.
What dip pairs well with zucchini bites?
You can’t go wrong here! Any cool and creamy dip like ranch or blue cheese dressing, or a creamy yogurt dill would be great. Garlic aioli would also be a nice complement to the garlic in the crispy coating.
Keeping it simple with a side of ketchup is always classic.
How to store leftovers?
Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
How to reheat them?
They will be soggy, so if you’ve got an air fryer, I suggest using that to heat them up and get them nice and crispy again. You can also use the oven or toaster oven.
Parmesan Zucchini Bites
- 1 large zucchini or 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons flour plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil per batch
- In a mixing bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, whisk. Next add cheese, garlic, flour, salt and pepper. Whisk.
- Preheat oil in the skillet about 1-2 tablespoons. Coat zucchini in flour on both sides, then dip into the cheese mixture.
- Cook until golden color on both sides. Enjoy!
Q. – Do YOU like this Zucchini Bites Recipe?
Let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Are any of your recipes good for the Air Fryer? I would love to know which ones?
Great question, Sue! Here is the link where you can find all of my air fryer recipes. 😀 https://www.munchkintime.com/?s=air+fryer