Zucchini Fritters Recipe – Bring the summer sizzle to your kitchen with these tasty zucchini fritters! Packed with veggies, seasoning, feta cheese, and dill, they are pan-fried until perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside!
When YOU make Zucchini Fritters Recipe please tag us on @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
Zucchini feta fritters are the ultimate summer snack! I just love how quickly they come together and how easy they are to eat! They’re like a little hand-held portable bites, perfect with a side of creamy yogurt sauce for dipping!
I know I’m not the only one looking for new and delicious ways to use up my zucchini bounty!
With such a versatile vegetable, there is no end in sight to all the delicious ways to use it. I’ve made everything from Parmesan zucchini bites and zucchini pancakes to zucchini noodles and even chocolate zucchini cake!
These zucchini fritters with feta and dill are a new favorite around here, and I just know they’ll be a staple in our house all summer long. Now you can enjoy them too!
- Grated zucchini: You’ll need about 1 lb of grated zucchini which is about 3 medium zucchini. No need to peel them first, zucchini skin is very delicate and thin and completely edible.
- Salt: This is used to extract the moisture from the zucchini since it contains a lot of water. You’ll need to do this so your fritters don’t become soggy and fall apart.
- Feta cheese: Crumbled feta adds a deliciously tangy, briny flavor, and the flecks of white pieces throughout the zucchini fritter pop!
- Green onions & minced garlic: Chopped onions and fresh garlic add extra flavor!
- Eggs: These are binding and help to keep the zucchini fritters moist and held together.
- Fresh dill: Love the flavor of fresh dill! It adds a zesty, vibrant taste to the fritters and pairs well with both zucchini and feta cheese.
- Black pepper: To taste.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is what I use to help form the patties. This is what gives them structure.
- Oil for frying: I use olive oil or avocado oil to pan-fry these fritters. They are both neutral-tasting and have a high smoke point. We need the oil to get the outsides nice and crisp!
How to Make Zucchini Fritters
Step 1: Use a box grater to grate the zucchini over a fine mesh strainer. Sprinkle it with sea salt and place the strainer over a bowl for about 10 minutes. This is to release the water so it’s easier to squeeze out.
Step 2: When the 10 minutes is up, grab the mesh strainer and squeeze the water from the zucchini with your hands allowing the liquid to run into the sink (unless you want to save it for something else!). Get as much out as possible, then add the shredded zucchini into a clean bowl.
Step 3: To the bowl with the zucchini, add the feta cheese, green onion, eggs, dill, garlic, and black pepper. Mix everything with a wooden spoon until combined. If you don’t mind getting your hands dirty, you can use them to mix.
Step 4: Sprinkle the flour and continue mixing until everything is incorporated. In the meantime, heat oil in a skillet over medium-low heat.
Step 5: Scoop up about 1 loaded Tablespoon of zucchini fritter batter once the oil is hot and add it to the sizzling skillet. Press it down gently to form a fritter. Cook for 5-6 minutes, flipping halfway.
Step 6: Transfer the crispy golden fritters to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
Serve warm with a creamy herb yogurt sauce!
- Do not overcrowd the pan. Not only will this bring down the temperature of the oil, but it won’t allow enough room for the zucchini feta fritters to crisp up on all sides. Work in batches, probably about 4 at a time.
- Double or triple the recipe as needed. As long as you’re working in batches, you can make as many as you like.
- Zucchini grown at home will usually contain more water than store-bought zucchini. You may find that you have less zucchini than you thought once you squeeze out all of the water. In this case, keep an extra zucchini on hand in case you need it.
- Use a food processor to grate your zucchini if you have one. Save your time and your knuckles!
- For even-sized fritters, use an ice cream or cookie scoop with a trigger release so you can easily get it into the pan. Even-sized fritters will cook evenly!
What to serve with zucchini fritters?
We love to dip ours in a cool, creamy herb yogurt sauce, but you can choose to go the traditional route of plain sour cream or tzatziki sauce and some lemon wedges! Or use your favorite creamy dressing on the side.
If you’re having them for lunch or a light dinner, have them with a side salad or with any grilled meat throughout the BBQ season.
Why are my zucchini fritters soggy?
There are a couple of factors to consider. First and foremost is making sure to get rid of as much of the water from the zucchini as you can. It’s not like in baked goods where we want the moisture from the zucchini. Here we want the flavor but not the water!
The next thing is that you need to make sure your oil is always hot enough. Do not add your fritters to the skillet until you’re sure the oil is at the correct temperature. If you do, the zucchini fritter will absorb too much oil waiting for the skillet to heat up.
Can I use yellow squash to make zucchini fritters with feta and dill?
Sure you can! They are pretty interchangeable for the most part and definitely can be swapped in this recipe. You can even use a combination of both.
Zucchini Fritters With Feta
- Combine together zucchini and sea salt, and place it in a fine mesh strainer over a bowl for 10 minutes, to release juice.
- Using hands squeeze the juice out and place squeezed zucchini in a bowl. To the same bowl add , feta cheese, green onion, 2 eggs, dill, and garlic. Mix everything until combined.
- Next sprinkle flour, and mix until everything is combined.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet (I like to use cast iron), once the oil is hot add 1 loaded tablespoon full of zucchini batter into the skillet, flip the spoon and press it down to form a fritter.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes on medium/low heat, per side, or until the batter is cooked thru. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve with garlic yogurt sauce.
Q. – Do YOU like this Easy Zucchini Recipe?
Let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!