Shrimp Spring Rolls Recipe – Simple, light, and with so much flavor, these shrimp spring rolls are easy to make in just minutes! They’re stuffed with rice noodles, lettuce, carrots, green onions, and shrimp then rolled and ready to eat. Serve with an irresistible sweet and savory peanut sauce on the side!
When YOU make Spring Rolls Recipe please tag us on @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
Shrimp spring rolls are the perfect light and easy recipe to make not only when you’re craving a more traditional version of this Vietnamese spring roll recipe, but also when you just don’t feel like making a big fuss out of dinner!
They’re so easy to make using fresh ingredients without the need for deep frying or heavy oils. It’s a refreshing snack, appetizer, or light meal idea, especially in the summer when you don’t want to heat up the kitchen.
This recipe for spring rolls with shrimp is made with cooked juicy shrimp, fresh herbs, and crunchy veggies wrapped in thin rice paper with a delicious peanut sauce for dipping.
Ingredients for Shrimp Spring Rolls
- Rice vermicelli noodles: These can be found in most grocery stores or Asian markets. They need to be cooked according to package directions ahead of time. Drain them, then allow them to cool to the touch.
- Carrots: Peeled and julienned, they add a beautiful orange color, a bit of sweetness, and a delicious crunch!
- Shredded lettuce: Use whatever you’ve got on hand. Could be Boston lettuce, romaine, iceberg, or even baby spinach, if desired.
- Rice paper sheets: Once dipped in water they go from hard to soft and roll easily. They are paper thin and translucent so you can see all the beautiful filling!
- Cilantro & Green onions: Herbs and aromatics for even more fresh vibrant flavors.
- Shrimp: Peeled, deveined, and cooked. You can buy precooked shrimp to save you some time.
- Dipping sauce: Hoisin sauce, creamy peanut butter, water, rice vinegar.
How to Cook Shrimp For Spring Rolls
If you’re not buying precooked shrimp you’re going to want to cook the shrimp ahead of time so that they’re ready when you need them. Making sure the ingredients are prepped and ready to go is key to saving tons of time!
Bring salted water to a boil. Add shrimp to cook for 1-3 minutes (depending on their size) until no longer translucent. Remove the shrimp from the boiling water. You can set them aside to cool or place them in the fridge to speed that up.
Once they’re cooked and cooled, slice them in half lengthwise. Now, they’re ready to use.
How to Make Shrimp Spring Rolls
Step 1: Prepare all of the ingredients.
Step 2: Next, prepare a bowl of warm water and take one piece of rice paper at a time and soak it for 10-15 seconds until it starts to soften.
Step 3: Immediately remove the rice paper and place it onto a clean flat surface. Some people find putting it on a kitchen towel helps it to not stick to any surface.
Step 4: Add noodles, carrots, lettuce, green onion and cilantro to the center of the rice paper.
Step 5: Now, take the bottom of the wrapper and fold it up over the filling. Fold in the sides toward the center and start rolling it once, then add 3 pieces of shrimp on top and roll from the bottom to the top until it closes. It will be sticky enough that it will hold and stay closed on its own.
Step 6: Repeat with remaining rice paper sheets until the filling is all used up. Serve with dipping sauce and enjoy!
Make the Peanut Sauce
Combine the Hoisin sauce, creamy peanut butter, water, and rice vinegar in a mason jar. Cover it with a lid then shake to combine.
This peanut dipping sauce is sweet and savory, thick, and delicious. Enjoy!
- Be careful not to overstuff your spring rolls. This may cause them to break or fall apart.
- Use regular commercial peanut butter if you can. If you are using natural peanut butter you may want to add a bit of honey or maple syrup to help sweeten it up.
- Swap the shrimp for a different protein if you’d like. Chicken or pork is great or keep it vegetarian with some fried tofu.
- The noodles help to make the shrimp spring rolls a bit heartier, but feel free to skip them completely.
- You can also replace the noodles with extra veggies like cucumber or bell peppers.
- Not a lover of cilantro? Try mint instead.
Are shrimp spring rolls healthy?
They certainly are! Mind you, rice noodles are very high in sodium, so you’ll want to keep an eye on that, but otherwise, we’re using fresh wholesome ingredients.
Vegetables have a ton of vitamins and minerals. Peanut butter is high in protein, shrimp has Omega-3s. All in all, they’re much healthier than anything you’d get from ordering takeout!
Are shrimp rolls served hot or cold?
The beauty of these rolls is that they are served cold. Or at least room temperature.
You could warm up the dipping sauce for a nice contrast to the cold spring roll.
Why do you cut the shrimp in half?
This is to make it easier to lay them flat on top of the rest of the filling. Plus, it allows you to make twice as many rolls with the same number of shrimp!
Shrimp Spring Rolls
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter creamy
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 tablepoon rice vinegar
Shrimp Spring Rolls
- 4 oz rice vermicelli noddles cooked according to the package
- 1 carrot peeled & julienned
- 2 cups lettuce shredded
- 8 round rice paper sheets
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/3 cup green onion sliced into long strips
- 1/2 lb shrimp I like to use jumbo shrimp, cooked & peeled, cut in half lengthwise
For the Sacue
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients, whisk until everything is combined.
How to Make Shrimp Rolls
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- Take rice paper and soak in warm water for 10-15 seconds or until it starts to soften. After place it on the cooking surface. Add noodles, carrots, lettuce, green onion and cilantro to the center of the rice paper.
- Take the bottom of the wrapper and fold it up over the filling. Fold in the sides toward the center and start rolling it once, then add 3 pieces of shrimp on top and roll from the bottom to the top until it closes. Repeat with the rest. Serve with the sauce. Enjoy!
Q. – Do YOU like this Shrimp Spring Roll Recipe?
Let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!