Baked Lobster Mac and Cheese Recipe is made with best creamy pasta sauce and chunks of juicy lobster. Every single bite tastes like heaven! It’s the perfect special occasion meal for your special someone!
Growing up I always thought lobster mac and cheese was only something you could order at a fancy restaurant. When I realized just how easy it was to make from scratch, it became a tradition to make homemade lobster mac and cheese for all the special occasions!
It’s definitely not your ordinary macaroni and cheese. It combines classic cheesy comfort food with perfectly cooked chunks of juicy lobster making this even better than anything you’d order at a restaurant.
This recipe is meant to serve 2 as a main dish or it can serve 4 as a side dish. Serve it for Father’s Day, or Valentine’s Day, maybe a special birthday! To impress a crowd, you can easily double or triple the recipe, just be sure to pick up the lobster when it’s on sale!
For something a little different but just as elegant try my air fryer lobster tails with garlic butter!
What’s in Oven Baked Lobster Mac and Cheese?
- Pasta – I use penne pasta, but you can ultimately use whatever short or medium pasta you prefer. Elbow pasta or cavatappi are always popular choices. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Lobster tails – You’ll need 2 cooked lobster tails cut into bite-size pieces. Need to cook your lobster? See below for details.
- Cheese – Freshly grated cheddar cheese, gruyere cheese, and parmesan cheese.
- Butter, flour, & milk – These three will be used to create a roux. This is the base of the delicious can and cheese sauce that will help give it the thick consistency that it needs.
- Salt & pepper – Just a bit of seasoning is all it needs!
- Garlic powder & mustard powder – Adds a tangy flavor that pairs nicely with the sharp cheeses.
When You make Easy Lobster Mac and Cheese Recipe, take a picture and share it on Instagram by hash tagging #munchkinrecipes we would LOVE to see your creation!
How to Make Lobster Mac and Cheese Recipe
Step 1: First, lets make a roux. Start by melting butter in a skillet over medium heat. Then, add the flour and stir for 1-2 minutes. You’ll notice it becoming a thick paste and will have a light brown color.
Step 2: Slowly pour in the milk, whisking continuously. The flour mixture will start to dissolve and you’ll be left with thick milk.
Step 3: Next, add in all three types of cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and mustard powder. Whisk everything together until everything is combined.
Step 4: Now, grab a small baking pan and grease it with a bit of oil. Add the cooked pasta, lobster chunks, and homemade mac and cheese sauce into the dish. Stir everything and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Step 5: Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes until golden, bubbly, and delicious!
How to Cook Lobster for Mac and Cheese
If you’ve just picked up some fresh lobster tails but aren’t sure what to do with them, I’ve got you covered! Be sure to thaw them first, if yours are frozen.
Boiling – Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add whole lobster tails with the shells still into the pot of water. Cook for 1 minute per ounce and once they are done, the shells will have turned red.
Carefully remove them from the pot and allow them to cool. They will be too hot to handle right away!
Grilling – Heat the grill to medium-high heat. For this method, you’ll want to make sure to expose the lobster flesh, so take your kitchen shears and cut lengthwise down the middle of the tail, leaving the end of it intact.
Bring the lobster meat out of the shell leaving the end still attached to the tip of the tail. This way it sits on top of the shell. Flip it over onto the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes before flipping over and cooking for another 5 minutes.
Baking or broiling – Broiling is done at very high heat close to the element. Baking on lower heat for a longer period of time. Both are great.
It’s best enjoyed fresh, so dig right in! If you have any leftovers keep them stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Best Tips for Buying Lobster
- When buying lobster it’s important to note that cold water lobster has the best flavor and texture.
- Since this is a special occasion meal and not something you make every day, you may as well go all out and pay for the quality. The higher to price tag, the better quality, and the more likely it will be cold water lobster.
- The meat of the lobster should be nice and white without any dark spots or discoloration.
- Buy fresh or frozen lobster. Never thawed from frozen otherwise the quality won’t be as good. They need to be cooked immediately after thawing at home.
What to Serve with Lobster Mac and Cheese
A simple side Caesar salad is all that is needed to complete this meal. Since you might be saving this for a special occasion, some special occasion sides like green beans with bacon or asparagus and bacon wraps would be a nice touch.
To start you could serve 5-minute tomato bites or avocado garlic tomato bruschetta and finish off the meal with a delicious no bake strawberry mousse!
More Yummy Side-dish Ideas:
Lobster Mac and Cheese
- 6 oz penne pasta cooked
- 2 lobster tails cooked, shell removed, cut into bite size pieces
Mac and Cheese Sauce
- 1 1/4 cup cheddar cheese freshly grated, more if desired
- 1/4 cup gruyere cheese freshly shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated, more for garnishing the top
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Using a skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in milk whisking continuously. Whisk until flour mixture dissolves. Next, add 1 cup of cheddar cheese, gruyere cheese, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder and mustard powder. Whisk everything into the sauce, until everything is combined.
- Using a small baking pan, grease it with oil, then add cooked pasta, cut lobster and homemade mac and cheese sauce. Give everything, then sprinkle 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese, to taste. Bake on middle rack for 20-25 minutes, or until golden color on top. Enjoy while hot with Caesar Salad.
Q. Do YOU like this Lobster Mac and Cheese Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Don’t miss another great recipe SUBSCRIBE to Munchkin Time on the bottom of this post ——->
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Quote Of The Day