Best Blueberry Muffin Recipe you will ever make! They are made with buttermilk and loaded with fresh blueberries, plus a blueberry compote that gets swirled right into the muffins! They’re topped with a sweet crumb topping and the results are buttery, soft, and delicious!
The sweet crumbly streusel on top takes these bakery-style muffins to another level and is way better than anything you’d pick up at a store! They’re great to have as a breakfast, as part of a bigger special occasion brunch, an afternoon snack, or to pack in school lunches.
They’re fluffy, moist, and use just a few basic pantry staples which means you can make them anytime. I always loved baking while my kids were napping so they had a yummy snack to wake up to!
Swap out the blueberries for a different type of berry and you’ve got a recipe for a variety of flavors!
These classic blueberry muffins with crumb topping are mouthwatering and downright irresistible. I dare you not to eat more than one at a time!
Ingredients Needed for the Best Blueberry Muffins
Dry ingredients: All-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, sugar.
Wet ingredients: Blueberries (fresh or frozen), water, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, eggs, and buttermilk. The slight tang of the buttermilk adds so much flavor to these muffins, as well as the acid reacts with the baking powder giving these muffins a nice fluffy rise!
Blueberries: Fresh or frozen, it’s up to you!
Unsalted butter: Measure the butter, melt it, then cool it.
For the Streusel Topping
We’re combining flour, melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar for this simple crumb topping!
How to Make Blueberry Muffins
Step 1: First we’ll make the crumb topping for blueberry muffins and set it aside so that way it’s ready for us when we need it. Combine the sugars, flour, and melted butter. Combine everything together (don’t be afraid to use your hands) until it becomes lumpy and sandy. The clumps should be about the size of peas. Set it aside.
Step 2: Make the blueberry sauce by combining some of the blueberries, sugar, and a bit of water into a saucepan. Cook it until it reduces and thickens, mashing them as they cook. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
Step 3: In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl whisk the sugar and eggs then slowly add the vegetable oil and melted butter. Mix well and then add the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
Step 4: Add the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients, gently folding it in. Be careful not to overmix. Once the dry and wet ingredients have combined into a smooth batter, fold in the fresh blueberries.
Step 5: Use an ice cream scoop to evenly divide the batter into a prepared muffin tin. You’ll have enough to make about 12-18 muffins. To the tops of each muffin, add a dollop of the blueberry syrup, and then use a toothpick to gently swirl it around in a figure 8 motion.
Step 6: Top the muffins with even amounts of streusel on each one and bake for 17-19 minutes. Allow them to cool first in the pan before removing them to a platter or wire rack. Enjoy!
Best Blueberry Muffin Recipe Tips
- Room temperature sauce. Make sure the sauce has come back down to room temperature before adding it to the muffin batter. Ensuring all of the ingredients are starting off at the same temperature will help with even baking.
- Do not overmix the batter. Overworking it will release too much air resulting in heavier denser muffins.
- Use an ice cream or cookie scoop. I love this trick! It helps me to know I’m adding the same amount of batter into each muffin cup so that all the muffins end up the same size.
- The streusel is completely optional. If you’d rather not add it, then you don’t have to!
- Storage. Muffins can stay out on the counter for a few days, as long as they’re kept moist in a covered container. You can keep them fresh a little while longer if you transfer them to a fridge for a few extra days.
Can I Use Frozen Blueberries to Make Blueberry Muffins?
You can! If fresh blueberries aren’t in season and you have some in your freezer, by all means, use them. Just don’t thaw them first otherwise they’ll be mushy. Add them in while frozen.
How Do I Turn Muffins into Mini Muffins?
If you’ve got little ones who want a bite-sized muffin or maybe it’s just easier to pack them in a lunch box that way, you can easily turn these regular-sized muffins into mini muffins.
Follow the same instructions but lower the baking time. Check at the 9-minute mark as they won’t take very long at all.
How Many Calories are in a Blueberry Muffin?
These muffins have 350 calories in each.
Do These Blueberry Muffins Freeze Well?
Totally! I might even suggest you make a double batch and freeze the second batch for later! Once they are completely cooled, transfer them to an airtight, freezer-friendly bag and keep frozen for up to 3 months.
Thaw on the counter overnight and if you like to enjoy them warm you can pop them in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
Check Out These Easy Fall Recipes:
Best Blueberry Muffin Recipe
To make Streusel Topping:
- In a mixing bowl combine 3 tablespoons of white sugar, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar and 1/3 cup of flour. Add 5 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix until mixture is size of peas then set aside.
To make Blueberry Muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Using saucepan combine 1 tablespoon of water, 1 cup blueberries and 1 teaspoon sugar. Cook on medium heat. Cook until mixture gets thickened and reduced by half, about 6-10 min. While cooking mash berries with potato masher. Let it cool to a room temperature.
- In a large bowl combine 2 1/2 cups of flour, 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- In a different bowl whisk 1 cup of sugar and 2 eggs. Slowly add 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and 4 tablespoons of melted butter, mix until combined.
- Add 1 cup buttermilk and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Mix until combined. Using a spatula fold in egg mixture into flour mixture (careful to not over mix).
- Fold in 1 cup of blueberries. Using ice cream scoop divide the batter among 12-18 muffin cups.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of berry syrup. Gently swirl berry syrup with toothpicks using figure-8 motion.
- Evenly divide streusel among muffin tops. Bake for 17-19 min. Let muffins cool in a muffin tin for 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Enjoy! 😀
When YOU make this Best Blueberry Muffin Recipe, take a picture & DM me your Food Creation on Instagram @MunchkinTimeBlog we would love to see your creation!
Q. – Did you like this Muffin Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!