Easy Black Bean Salad – A delicious and easy salad recipe that I just can’t get enough of! It’s made with a few simple ingredients tossed together in a matter of minutes. Delivering vibrant zesty flavors and tons of protein and fiber, this salad is one your whole family will enjoy!
When YOU make this Black Bean and Corn Salad Recipe please tag us @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
It’s funny how our bodies adapt to the changing seasons. As soon as the weather cools down, my body starts to crave heartier foods, seasonal veggies, soups, stews, and all kinds of winter salads.
And I’m here for it! There are so many delicious fall and winter salads I’ve been eating lately, as I’m trying to eat more alkaline foods. So this black bean and corn salad is one I eat with breakfast and lunch.
It’s made with corn, black beans, fresh garlic and onion, a bit of seasoning, olive oil, and lime juice! It’s super simple, refreshing, nourishing, and completely plant-based. It’s got plenty of protein and fiber, which means it’ll help keep you full for longer!
Outside of the health benefits, it’s just a really easy, pretty, and flavorful salad to throw together in a pinch! I do love it in the winter, but corn is a summer vegetable so it’s perfect year round! Bring it to a potluck, serve it at a BBQ, or use it as a side dish for your Tex-Mex night.
- Corn: This is a great opportunity to use the kernels from the leftover corn on the cob you have in the fridge. Even more flavor if it was grilled! Of course, you can also use canned corn. I love organic sweet corn.
- Black Beans: Drained and rinsed, you’ll need a 15 oz can.
- Garlic & Onion: Minced garlic and diced onion give the black bean salad some zing! They’re fresh, pungent, and have a nice textural element too.
- Salt & Pepper: To taste.
- Olive Oil: Extra virgin olive oil combined with the lime juice coats the salad evenly for maximum taste.
- Cilantro: Fresh chopped cilantro adds a vibrant lemony peppery herb flavor and bright green color!
- Lime Juice: A tangy zesty citrus juice that makes a fantastic dressing for the salad.
How to Make Black Bean Salad
Step 1: Add beans, corn, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, olive oil, cilantro, and lime juice (aka all the ingredients) into a large salad bowl.
Step 2: Use salad spoons to toss everything together to make sure it’s mixed well.
Step 3: Eat it and enjoy!
How to Prepare Canned Black Beans for Salad
Canned beans need to be preserved, so they’re immersed in a liquid made up of water and salt plus whatever starch has been released from the beans. This liquid is a bit slimy, so once you open the can, dump the beans in a strainer to get rid of the liquid.
Rinse them under water to wash away any residual liquids. Allow them to dry just a bit, otherwise, the excess water will pool at the bottom of your salad bowl.
Now they are ready to use!
This black bean salad is very simple which is exactly how I like it. If you’re feeling a little adventurous and would like to try to switch it up a bit, by all means, go for it!
Here are just a few ways to jazz things up:
- Diced jalapeno for a kick
- Swap the black beans for chickpeas or pinto beans
- Add canned tuna to the salad
- Diced red bell pepper for crunch
- Creamy avocado
- Juicy cherry tomatoes
Keep any leftovers stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. It’s great cold or at room temperature, so I wouldn’t blame you if you ate it straight out of the fridge throughout the day. It’s just that good!
If you’re interested in using dried beans, you would need to plan ahead as they need some time to soak first. It’s super easy with an Instant Pot if you have one.
Add 1 cup of dried black beans and 3 cups of water to the 6-quart pressure cooker. Close the lid and set the timer for 12 minutes. Naturally release the pressure, and there you have it!
I like it with cooked quinoa, sautéed beef breakfast sausage, avocado, roasted sweet potato, or butternut squash.
You can also have it with a fried egg, a tuna sandwich, or any grilled meat.
It also makes an amazing snack for dipping tortilla chips in!
Black Bean and Corn Salad
- 2 cups corn cooked, or use 1 can of organic sweet corn
- 15 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro fresh, finely chopped
- 1 lime juice of 1 lime, or more to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and give a good mix.
- I like to serve this salad with cooked quinoa, sautéed beef breakfast sausage, roasted sweet potato (recipe) or butternut squash.
Q. – Do YOU like this Black Bean and Corn Salad Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!