Mediterranean Beef Kebobs Recipe – Skewers of beautifully grilled chunks of beef, tender-crisp peppers, and crispy onions are made from a flavorful marinade packed with aromatics, herbs, spices, and sweet, salty, and umami flavors! A simple way to enjoy tender juicy steak skewers all summer long!
When YOU make Mediterranean Beef Kebobs Recipe please tag us on @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
Mediterranean beef kebobs are one of the quickest and easiest ways to grill up some delicious sirloin steak with the best marinade!
We love to fire up the grill all summer long so we’re always up for trying new grilled recipes and different marinades we can use on all kinds of meat.
This beef kebob recipe comes together in minutes with a quick marinade made from aromatics, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, fresh herbs, salt, and seasoning. We marinate the meat for a couple of hours then all there is left to do is assemble the beef skewers and pop them on the grill!
The meat comes out tender and juicy on the inside with smoky grill marks on the outside and a beautiful caramelized crust from the sugars in the marinade.
So, grab your skewers and fire up the grill, you’re going to love these beef kebobs!
Ingredients for Beef Kebobs Recipe
The ingredients for the Mediterranean beef kebob marinade are all going to be puréed, so no need to worry about chopping anything perfectly. A rough chop is completely fine.
- Chopped onion & garlic: Aromatics that deliver so much flavor. Everyone loves a garlicky marinade and onions always pair well with steak.
- Water or Beef Broth: Using a bit of water or beef broth in your marinade kind of acts like a brine when combined with salt and sugar. It helps to thin out the purée and allows all of those flavors to absorb into the meat even more.
- Oil: Avocado oil or olive oil can be used. The oil keeps the meat moist and helps disperse the marinade evenly to coat every inch of the meat.
- Tomato paste: A strong tomato flavor that adds beautiful color and acid to help tenderize the meat.
- Chopped fresh rosemary: A tasty herb elevates and brightens the flavor. Rosemary is a delicious pairing with any beef (or lamb and chicken too!).
- Worcestershire sauce: A salty, savory, umami flavor.
- Salt & Pepper: Salt enhances the flavor, as does pepper, but it also helps the flavors penetrate.
- Sugar: This elevates the flavor of the entire marinade but as the beef kebab is on the grill it helps to brown the meat and form that tasty caramelization.
- For the kebabs: Sirloin steak is tender and beefy meat, cut into 2 inch cubes. Making them this size ensures they will cook through without burning or overcooking. Red bell pepper cut into 1 ½ cubes and red onion cut into 1 ½ inch chunks.
How to Make Mediterranean Beef Kebobs
Step 1: Place all the marinade ingredients into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
Step 2: Grab a large Ziploc bag and add the beef, red onion, and red bell pepper chunks to it.
Step 3: Pour the marinade into the Ziploc bag, seal it closed, and mix until combined. Use your hands to move the meat around making sure it’s all coated.
Step 4: Place the bag in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
Step 5: Once the beef and veggies are done marinating, thread them onto metal skewers. Start with a beef cube, then a pepper, then the onion. Repeat until you’ve reached the tip of the skewer.
Step 6: Once the grill is hot, place the skewers onto the grates to cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Allow the beef kebobs to rest for a few minutes before serving.
How Long to Grill Beef Kebobs?
When cut into 2 inch cubes on a 400 degree grill, the beef should take no more than 12-15 minutes total, flipping halfway. If your meat is cut a bit smaller you can take it off the grill a couple of minutes earlier. ¾ inch cubes should take no more than 10 minutes.
Best Cut of Beef for Shish Kebobs
Since beef kebobs are great for simple weeknight dinners or weekend BBQs there’s no need to get fancy! Keep it budget friendly and use top sirloin.
If you are looking for something a little more elegant for a special occasion, use filet mignon or porterhouse. These cuts of beef are so tender, just 30 minutes of marinating time is enough!
- If using wooden or bamboo skewers, make sure to soak them for a least an hour in water before skewering so they don’t burn on the grill.
- When cutting the beef, be sure to cut against the grain into strips. Then into cubes. This shortens the muscle fibers and ensures a more tender bite.
- You can leave everything to marinate overnight if you want. Or you can whip it up in the morning and have it ready to hit the grill for dinner at the end of the day.
- Skewer the meat and veggies loosely, leaving a bit of space between each piece so that the beef cooks evenly on all sides of the cube.
- Feel free to use a different skewer pattern. 1 cube of beef, 2 peppers, 1 onion for example is another way to add them onto the skewer!
What to Serve with Mediterranean Beef Kabobs?
You can serve them with the skewer as a main dish. Or, you can remove them from the skewer and add them to pita bread for a wrap drizzled with some tzatziki sauce!
Mediterranean Beef Kabobs
For the Beef Kebabs
- 1 1/2 lb sirloin steak cut into 1 or 2 inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red onion cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- Add all marinade ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth.
- Place beef, red onion and bell pepper pieces into a large zip-lock bag, pour the marinade mixture in, close it and mix until everything is combined. Refrigerate for 2 hours or over night.
- Thread beef with red bell pepper and onion onto metal skewers. Grill on a preheated grill for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness. Enjoy!
Q. – Do YOU like this Mediterranean Beef Kabobs Recipe?
Let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!