This Mexican cheese dip recipe is by far one of the best cheese dips I’ve ever had and not just because it was created by my cheese-adoring brother-in-law but because it’s a quick 10-minute dip made with 5 simple ingredients all combined in one skillet. And it is SO GOOD!
A delicious cheesy dip is one of my favorite appetizers to serve for any occasion. Spinach and artichoke, buffalo chicken dip, nacho cheese dip and hatch chile cheese dip, you name it, my family will eat it! Whether it’s a special gathering for Thanksgiving or Christmas or a more casual movie night, game night, or Cinco de Mayo celebration, a quick and simple dip that everyone loves makes for super yummy and super easy entertaining.
This delicious Mexican cheese dip can then be transferred from the stove to the table for everyone to share. Served hot and satisfyingly cheesy, with chunks of juicy sausage and a bit of a kick, it’s one everyone loves, even the kids!
Ingredients YOU will need to make Mexican Cheese Dip:
The ingredients are flexible so you can definitely adjust it to your own taste, if you like it with a little more heat, a little less, or whether you want to make it just a bit cheesier, it’s up to you!
Serve this sausage cheese dip as an appetizer before the main meal or as a snack on its own, just be sure to have loads of crackers, bread, veggies, and chips for dipping because it goes so well on everything!
Any and all of these ingredients are customizable to your tastes, and preferences. Everything from the brand I use, to the spice level, feel free to switch it up.
- Beef franks – I use Hebrew National Beef Franks cut up into pieces for this recipe, but you can use whatever sausage is your favorite. Italian sausage, spicy, pork, beef, whatever you have.
- Salsa con Queso – This technically is a dip all on its own, so it adds so much flavor! It’s a blend of cheese sauce and salsa and sometimes bell pepper and jalapeno.
- Refried beans – A delicious, addition to any dip! Refried beans are a popular ingredient in many Mexican-inspired dishes and add flavor and texture to this dip.
- Rotel – A combination of diced tomatoes and green chilis found in a can in your local grocery store.
- Shredded cheddar – This dip is best with freshly grated sharp cheddar. It’s pretty much the star of the show so you want it to stand out. The sharpness adds so much intense cheesy goodness, and you want to make sure to grate it from a block to get it to melt nicely.
How to Make Mexican Cheese Dip
Step 1: First, cook the pieces of beef franks in a skillet on medium-high heat for 5 minutes until nicely browned.
Step 2: Next, stir in the salsa con queso, refried beans, and Rotel and bring to a gentle boil.
Step 3: After, remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese.
What to Serve with Hot Cheese Dip
- Tortilla Chips
- Homemade Guacamole
- Tomato Salsa
- A raw veggie platter (An easy way to get your kids to love veggies!)
- Soft pretzels
- Pretzel bites
- Pour it over a nacho platter
- And yes, use it as a topping for cheesy french fries!
Tips & Variations
- Easily double or half this recipe depending on the size of the crowd you’re serving.
- Swap the Rotel for mild salsa if you don’t want the added spice.
- Add in some diced jalapeños or a dash of cayenne or Frank’s Red hot for more heat.
- This dip will thicken as it cools, so best enjoyed immediately.
- For a bit of a smokier flavor, throw in a bit of smoked paprika or chili powder.
Can I use a Different Type of Cheese?
You bet! A really good sharp cheddar is a popular choice but you can go ahead and swap it for high-quality Swiss cheese, Colby, or Monterrey Jack cheese.
How Long is Cheese Dip Good For?
As I mentioned earlier, it really is best enjoyed the same day while warm, however, if you have leftovers they can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days, covered in an airtight container.
How to Reheat Cheese Dip?
To reheat cheese dip, place it in microwave-safe dish or bowl and microwave for 30 seconds -1 minute, stir, and repeat until melted, or in the sauce pot over low heat until warm, stirring few times.
More Cinco De Mayo Recipe Ideas:
10-Minute Easy Cheese Dip Recipe
- Place beef franks pieces into a skillet and cook on medium/high heat for 5 minutes or until browned color. Add salsa con queso, refried beans and tomatoes. Stir and bring it to a gentle boil.
- Turn off the heat and stir in sharp cheddar cheese. Serve with tortilla chips and Yummy Homemade Guacamole. Enjoy!
Q. – Did you like Easy Cheese Dip Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Quote of the Day
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
This recipe was updated October 4, 2021.