How to Make Quick Hamburger Buns – there’s nothing that pairs better with a homemade burger than homemade hamburger buns! Golden on the outside, soft and buttery on the inside, and ready to be filled with a nice juicy burger!
The great thing about this quick hamburger bun recipe is that it results in freshly baked buns that can be used for so much more than the best hamburger recipe!
When YOU make this Easy Hamburger Bun Recipe, take a picture & DM me your Food Creation on Instagram @MunchkinTimeBlog & I will feature it here under this recipe!
It’s an easy recipe made with just a few pantry staples and even if you’ve never worked with yeast before, I’ll guide you every step of the way. If you have a stand mixer this is a great time to break it out, otherwise, you can knead it the old-fashioned way!
One of the other reasons I love making them is that there isn’t a long rise time like there is in other bread recipes. Then, it’s a quick bake in the oven, and voila!
This is a no-fuss simple recipe for hamburger buns that will not only impress your crowd but there’s something so satisfying about making homemade bread. It’s definitely something to be proud of!
Ingredients Needed for Homemade Burger Buns
- Active dry yeast – When active, it’s a leavening agent that gives the bread a lovely rise.
- Warm water – Yeast thrives in warmth. The warm water (along with the sugar) helps to activate it.
- Avocado oil – Added fat leads to added moisture and the oil does that!
- Sugar – Yeast feeds on sugar, so along with the warm water, the sugar is needed to activate the yeast. You can adjust the amount to more if you like sweeter buns.
- Egg – A binding agent that holds the dough together and helps keep the structure of the bun intact. Without anything to bind the dough, it’ll fall apart!
- Sea salt – Salt is a flavor enhancer that, when used, maximizes flavor from all the other ingredients and helps all recipes avoid being bland.
- Flour – This is the main ingredient that is the foundation of many bread recipes! If you can find bread flour, this is the best option. If not, all-purpose flour is just fine too!
How to Make Hamburger Buns
Step 1: In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the yeast, water, oil, and sugar. Gently mix together and allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
Step 2: Once the yeast has expanded, mix in the egg, salt, and flour. You can knead with your hands, or use the paddle or hook attachment on the stand mixer. Mix for about 3-5 minutes.
Step 3: Transfer the dough out of the bowl onto a clean, flat surface. Divide the dough into 6-8 equal-sized pieces.
Step 4: Shape each piece into a ball and place them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with a kitchen towel and let it rest in a warm, draft-free area for 20-40 minutes.
Step 5: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and bake uncovered for 10-12 minutes. They should appear golden in color.
Allow the buns to cool to the touch, and enjoy!
- Test your yeast before using it. Sometimes if the yeast has been sitting around for too long it no longer is capable of being activated. Test a small amount in warm water. If it does absolutely nothing after 10 minutes, discard it and use a fresh batch.
- A nice finishing touch. Brush your golden buns with a bit of melted butter and a sprinkling of sea salt for added pizzazz.
- You could also sprinkle on some poppy seeds or sesame seeds if you like.
- Use an egg wash before placing buns in the oven if you’d like. It will give it that extra sheen and a deeper golden brown color.
- No sugar? No problem, you can substitute honey for sugar.
- The texture of the dough. Once it has been kneaded, the dough should be smooth and elastic. If you find it too sticky, add a bit more flour. Just a little at a time.
- While the oven is preheating, place the buns on top of the oven to get that extra bit of warmth before being placed in the oven to bake.
- Measure flour properly. One of the biggest baking mishaps is not using the spoon and level method to measure flour. It’s a must if you want the best results! This means you use a spoon to scoop out the flour and add it to your measuring cup. This way you don’t pack down the flour when you use the measuring cup itself to scoop out the flour. When you do this, you add way more flour than you need.
Commonly Asked Questions
How Long Do Hamburger Buns Last?
When kept in an airtight container or Ziploc bag, these buns will keep fresh for up to 3 days on the counter. Be careful to always keep them covered or they will lose moisture and dry out.
Can You Freeze Hamburger Buns?
This recipe yields buns that are freezer-friendly which is great if you’ve made too many or purposely made two batches to freeze one for later! Once completely cooled, wrap each one in plastic wrap or foil and keep stored in an airtight freezer bag. They’ll keep frozen for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to eat them, thaw at room temperature. Feel free to warm them up in the oven on low.
Can I Use Instant Yeast Instead?
You can, if you prefer. Using instant yeast just means you can skip the proofing at the beginning (you know with the water and sugar). You can go right ahead and mix everything together and make the dough.
I will say, that I do prefer active dry yeast, and even if I did use instant yeast, I would still proof it!
What Other Ways Can I Enjoy These Buns?
Other than adding a nice juicy burger in between these buns, there are plenty of other ways to use them!
Make a sloppy joe, mini pizzas or a pulled pork sandwich. My kids love when I make their sandwiches with these buns for their school lunches. The options are endless! Here are few of our favorites:
Quick Hamburger Buns Recipe
- Using a stand mixing bowl, add yeast, water, oil and sugar. Mix with a spoon and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix in egg, salt and flour. Knead dough using hands or stand mixer until smooth and elastic about 3-5 minutes (if dough is sticky add more flour).
- Divide dough into 6-8 equal pieces, and shape each piece into a ball. Place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover the buns with kitchen towel, and let rest for 20-40 minutes (more if desired) in a warm place (place on top of the oven while it’s preheating).
- Now preheat the oven to 425F. Bake uncovered for 10-12 minutes or until golden color. Cool & enjoy.
Q. Do YOU like this Easy Homemade Hamburger Buns Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!