Level up your taco night with this tasty carne guisada tacos recipe! Made with slow-cooked beef and potatoes in a flavorful gravy. This delicious filling is wrapped in a flour tortilla and topped with cheese, sour cream, and a squirt of lime juice.
When YOU make this Carne Guisada Tacos Recipe please tag us @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
This carne guisada recipe is about to become your new favorite way to fill up your tacos!
We’re cooking the beef low and slow in the oven so by the time it is done it is fall-apart tender. The diced potatoes are optional but add such a nice hearty texture and the spices used to add so much incredible flavor.
Learning how to make carne guisada whether on its own with some rice or mashed potatoes, or for filling up your tacos, is one of the best and easiest ways to get a scrumptious Latin-inspired meal on your dinner table.
I just know you’re going to love adding these to your taco Tuesday nights as much as we do!
Carne Guisada Tacos Recipe Ingredients
- Chuck roast: This is my favorite cut to use, but you can also use stew meat, top round, or rump roast. As long as it has plenty of marbling throughout. Trim any excess fat on the outside and cut into 1” pieces.
- Avocado oil: Used to help brown the meat to add flavor before we cook it through. You can use olive oil if you prefer.
- Onion & garlic: Aromatics to start off the layers of flavor in the sauce.
- Flour: This is used to thicken the sauce to a consistency like gravy. This is especially helpful when you’re making tacos so the filling doesn’t run everywhere!
- Salt: Enhances the flavor and taste of the entire dish.
- Tomato paste: For richness of color and a stronger tomato flavor without adding too much extra liquid.
- Diced tomatoes: I use canned tomatoes just to make things more convenient. You can dice your own fresh tomatoes if you prefer. No need to strain the juice from the can, you can toss it all in.
- Water or broth: I have a really great Instant Pot beef bone broth that I like to use for added flavor.
- Potatoes: The type of potato is up to you. I prefer to use Yukon gold or yellow potatoes but you can use Russets or red potatoes too. Peel and cut them into ½ inch cubes. Green bell pepper: Wash then cut them into cubes.
- Herbs & spices: A simple combination of chili powder, oregano, coriander, cumin, and Montreal steak spice is all it needs. You may already have all of these in your kitchen.
- For the tacos: Flour tortillas, fresh cilantro, lime wedges, shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream. All of the toppings and garnishes are optional but happen to be my family’s favorite way to eat them!
How to Make Carne Guisada Tacos
Step 1: To assemble the carne guisada tacos, add the cerne guisada filling to the center of the flour tortilla and drizzle with some of the juice from the pot.
Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro and add a squirt of lime juice overtop. Serve with sour cream or your favorite extra toppings and enjoy!
- Different meat. Although this recipe is for beef, you can use a different kind of meat if you prefer. Chicken or pork would be great too. Depending on the meat used, you may need to adjust your cooking time.
- Grill the tortilla. For a slight smoky char on the tortillas, pop them on the grill or on the oven rack for a minute.
- DIY toppings. I like to set bowls out of the different toppings I am offering. That way everyone can make their own taco just how they like it!
More Taco Topping Ideas
Some people like to keep things simple and enjoy the filling in a tortilla and call it a day. However, there are plenty of topping ideas to choose from if you love the toppings just as much as what’s inside. Here are some ideas to choose from:
- Diced red onion
- Sliced avocado
- Extra lime wedges
- Sliced jalapenos
- Cojita cheese
- Shredded lettuce
What to serve with carne guisada tacos?
As you can imagine, just one of these tacos is enough to fill you up!
However, if you’re serving a meal to a crowd it’s always nice to complete your menu with a side of rice, Mexican corn, or a simple side salad.
How long can I keep leftovers?
Leftover carne guisada can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Check Out More DELICIOUS Dinner Recipes
Carne Guisada Tacos
For Carne Guisada
- 3 1/2 lb chuck roast fat trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 onion chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water or broth
- 1 lb golden potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 5 small/medium potatoes)
- 2 green bell pepper washed and cubed
Carne Guisada Spices
Carne Guisada Tacos
- 10 tortillas warm
- cilantro for garnish
- lime for garnish
- sharp cheddar cheese for serving
- sour cream for serving
How to make Carne Guisada
- Click here for step by step carne guisada recipe instructions.
How to Make Carne Guisada Tacos
- On a the tortilla add carne guisada (make sure to drizzle some juice from the pot), sprinkle cheese and cilantro. Drizzle lime juice over the top. Serve with sour cream. Enjoy!
Do YOU like this Carne Guisada Tacos Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!