20-minute Easy Chicken Fajita Recipe with Fajita Seasoning – INCREDIBLY delicious and CRAZY Easy Chicken Fajita Wraps made in just under 20 minutes!
When YOU make this Chicken Fajita Recipe, take a picture & DM me your Food Creation on Instagram @MunchkinTimeBlog & I will feature it here under this recipe!
Easy chicken fajitas are a flavorful Mexican-inspired dish made with pieces of tender chicken marinated in fajita seasoning, lime juice, chili powder, and salt, piled onto a warm tortilla with melted cheese, tasty greens, and zesty salsa.
This chicken fajita wrap makes a quick and easy meal that the whole family will love and comes together using ingredients you probably already have on hand.
First, we cook the chicken, then warm the tortillas, then serve. It couldn’t be easier!
You can play around with the seasonings, swap the cheese, use chicken thighs, chicken tenders, or sliced chicken breast, and make it low-carb by skipping the wrap and serving the fajita filling over rice!
It’s a 20-minute Tex Mex-inspired recipe that you’re going to want to keep handy for this year’s Cinco De Mayo celebration and beyond!
Ingredients for Easy Chicken Fajita Recipe
- Chicken: I use chicken thighs because I enjoy the flavor and juiciness of dark meat. However, you can use chicken breasts or chicken tenders if preferred.
- Flour tortillas: I use large tortillas just because I like to make sure everyone has one large enough to fill us up. You can use different sizes, and even double the recipe if you want! Just as long as you have enough filling.
- Shredded cheese: Freshly grated cheddar cheese from a block is the way to go!
- Spring Mix: Chopped spring mix adds a layer of dark leafy greens instead of traditional shredded iceberg lettuce. Many more nutrients this way!
- Salsa: Fresh tomato salsa adds a zesty acidic element to top it off. Salsa, chicken, and cheese always pair well together! You can also use pico de gallo in its place.
- For the Marinade: Avocado or your choice of oil, freshly squeezed lime juice, fajita seasoning, chili powder, and salt.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
Step 1: Learning how to make chicken fajita marinade is as simple as combining all of the marinade ingredients into a large mixing bowl and giving it a good mix. Now it’s ready to use!
Step 2: Add the chicken thighs or tenders to the bowl with the marinade and toss to coat making sure all pieces are coated.
Step 3: Heat avocado oil in a nonstick skillet or cast iron skillet and cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes per side, or until no longer pink. Do not overcrowd the pan, otherwise, it will steam the meat and won’t sear properly. Transfer them to the cutting board and allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes.
Step 4: Once the meat has cooled, cut into bite-sized pieces or shred it apart with two forks.
Step 5. Wipe down the skillet (or wash it) to get rid of any remaining brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add a tortilla to the cleaned skillet and warm for 30 seconds. Flip it over to warm the other side and add ½ cup of cheddar cheese on top.
Step 6: Once the cheese has melted, use a spatula to lift the tortilla shell out of the pan and transfer it to a plate. Top with spring mix and a ¼ of the chicken. Top with salsa, roll it up, and enjoy!
Can I Make this Ahead of Time?
If you have some extra time, feel free to marinate the chicken ahead of time. This will help the flavors penetrate as well as tenderize the meat.
You can marinate it in the morning and have it ready around dinner time, or marinate it overnight. I wouldn’t do any longer than that because of lime juice. Keeping the chicken in the acid for too long will start to break down the chicken too much.
What are the Best Chicken Fajita Toppings to Use?
I love mine with just a bit of fresh tomato salsa, but you can also add extra classic toppings like avocado corn salsa, sour cream, Mexican crema, homemade guacamole, pico de gallo, cotija cheese, coleslaw, or cilantro.
Can I Add Vegetables to my Fajita Filling?
Absolutely! Feel free to sauté some sliced bell peppers and onions and add those to your filling. You can also add less traditional fajita veggies like mushrooms and zucchini.
For sweetness, you can also top it with pineapple or mango salsa.
What to Serve with Easy Chicken Fajitas?
Chicken fajitas are super satisfying as is, but if you’re feeding hungry teenagers it’s never a bad idea to have a few extra items on the table.
Serve it with rice or a side salad for an easy way to complete this meal.
Easy Chicken Fajita Recipe
How to Make Chicken Fajita Marinate
- In a small mixing bowl combine 1 tablespoon of avocado oil, 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lime juice, 2 teaspoons of fajita seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Give it a very good mix.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
- Now, coat each side of chicken tenders with fajita seasoning marinate. Next, using a nonstick skillet or cast iron preheat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil, add chicken tenders and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side over medium-high heat or until chicken is no longer pink. Transfer to a cutting board. Once cooled, cut into bite size pieces.
- Wipe the skillet with paper towel (or wash it!), then add 1 tortilla for 30 seconds flip on the other side and add 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, once cheese melts transfer to a plate and add spring mix leaves, 1/4 of chicken pieces and salsa over the top.
Q. Do YOU like this Easy Chicken Fajita Recipe with Fajita Seasoning?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Quote of the Day
Happy cooking, babe!