Salmon Avocado Roll – thin layers of smoked salmon rolled and filled with zesty whipped cream cheese and slices of avocado and cucumber. These simple little bites have so much flavor and are a fun way to snack without having to go get Japanese takeout!
When YOU make Salmon Roll Recipe please tag us on @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
My family adores sushi, even more so when it comes in any type of roll! Shrimp tempura rolls have been a long time favorite, but these salmon avocado rolls might be taking over!
They’re made with whipped cream cheese with a citrusy zesty flavor, sliced cucumber, and creamy avocado rolled in smoked salmon. These Asian-inspired rolls are much better than takeout and the perfect way to bring your favorite Japanese restaurant to your kitchen!
I love making these impressive salmon avocado rolls as an appetizer or as part of a party platter, but my kids love them as an after-school snack and my husband does too!
We’re NOT using a traditional sushi mat (although you can use one if you have it), but I’m still going to walk you through the steps of how to roll sushi. It’s much easier than you think, it might just take a bit of practice!
Salmon Avocado Roll Ingredients
- Smoked salmon: I like to buy wild-caught Alaskan smoked salmon. This type of salmon comes thinly sliced and has a distinct orange color and a signature smoky flavor to it.
- Avocado: You want to find a ripe avocado, but nothing too soft, otherwise it won’t retain its shape and be too mushy.
- Cucumber: Peeled and sliced, cucumbers add a fresh crunchy element.
- Cream cheese: Whipped cream cheese spreads easily and is lighter and fluffier than regular cream cheese. It’s always been a great flavor pairing with smoked salmon (hello bagel and lox!).
- Lemon juice: Fresh lemon juice will brighten up the cream cheese adding a delicious tartness.
- Sea salt: To taste.
- Black sesame seeds: Besides being highly nutritious, even more than regular sesame seeds, these also add a more robust flavor.
- Sesame seeds: Having a mix of both kinds of sesame seeds not only looks nice but is a nice balance. If preferred, you can stick with one kind.
How to Make Salmon Avocado Roll
Step 1: In a medium mixing bowl, combine whipped cream cheese, lemon juice, and salt. Stir to combine.
Step 2: Cut out a piece of plastic wrap into a rectangle and place it flat down on a cutting board.
Step 3: Spread the pieces of smoked salmon in the center of the plastic wrap, making sure they overlap so they don’t separate.
Step 4: Add the cream cheese mixture to one side of the salmon and spread it out across the length of it. Then, add the sliced cucumbers and avocado on top of the cream cheese.
Step 5: Using the plastic wrap underneath the salmon, lift up the side closest to use and start rolling it up. Make sure not to roll up the wrap, but merely use it as a guide to roll up the salmon as tightly as possible.
Step 6: Remove the plastic wrap, then use a sharp knife to slice the log roll into smaller salmon rolls. One log should make about 6-8 pieces. Garnish each roll with sesame seeds and enjoy!
Recipe Tips & Variations
- For a different garnish, you can swap sesame seeds for chives.
- You can also use everything bagel seasoning instead.
- If you want to make it a bit spicy, you can drizzle it with a spicy mayo or sriracha sauce.
- These rolls are best when served cold. If your salmon has warmed up by the time you’ve finished rolling them, place them in the fridge to chill for a few minutes before serving.
- For clean cuts, use a sharp knife and wipe it clean between every slice.
Is smoked salmon raw?
It’s not cooked, but it’s not raw either, so it is safe to eat. It’s salt-cured and then cold-smoked. So, the texture may feel raw, but you can definitely eat it as is.
Are Salmon Avocado Rolls Healthy?
Although smoked salmon is considered processed meat, it still contains a ton of nutrients like Omega 3s and vitamins.
Fresh avocados, cucumbers, and sesame seeds are also loaded with nutrients.
Home cooking and controlling what goes in and what stays out is always a healthier way to eat.
How many calories are in a salmon avocado roll?
Salmon Avocado Roll Calories equals to 649 calories per 1 salmon roll (total of 8 pieces of salmon sushi).
How to store leftovers?
Salmon avocado rolls can be kept in the fridge in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Enjoy leftovers cold straight out of the fridge every time the craving strikes. Trust me, one bite and you’ll be craving these all the time!
Check Out More DELICIOUS Dinner Recipes
New York Strip Steak Grill Recipe
Cheesy Hot Beef Sandwich Recipe
Salmon Avocado Roll
- 16 oz smoked salmon I like to buy wild caught Alaskan smoked salmon
- 1 avocado peeled and sliced
- 1/2 english cucumber sliced
- 1/2 cup cream cheese whipped cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or to taste
- sea salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a mixing dish mix whipped cream cheese, lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Using a plastic wrap, cut out a rectangle shape and place it on the cutting board. Now place salmon on top of the plastic wrap, making sure it over lapping each other.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on one side of the salmon. Add sliced cucumbers and avocado.
- Using the plastic wrap underneath the salmon roll it up the salmon into a roll, remove the plastic wrap and slice salmon roll into 6-8 pieces. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top and enjoy!
Q. – Do YOU like this Easy Salmon Rolls?
Let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!