How To Make French Fries In Air Fryer – Just as simple to make as homemade potato french fries but with almost no oil! Crispy and crunchy french fries are quick and easy to make in the air fryer using only 3 ingredients.
When YOU make Easy French Fries Recipe, PLEASE tag @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation! Thank you!
Have you ever wondered how to make french fries at home? Well, I’m going to show you how to do it in the easiest way possible: in the air fryer! Say goodbye to frying french fries in an insane amount of oil.
In this recipe, you’ll learn How To Make French Fries In Air Fryer using potatoes, salt and pepper, and a tablespoon of oil. That’s it! Using my tips and tricks, this will become your new go-to method for cooking the crispiest, most delicious french fries ever.
Dip these low-oil french fries in my homemade spicy mayo for a cravings-crushing snack. While you’re at it, make a batch of my Bang Bang Shrimp and Jalapeno Poppers. It would be an epic trio to serve at parties, potlucks, and get-togethers.
Ingredients YOU Need to Make Homemade French Fries
This easy french fries recipe only requires 3 basic ingredients. This is just a starting point, so feel free to play around by using different seasonings or types of potatoes. Here’s what you need:
- Oil (I like avocado oil)
- Salt and pepper
While the fries are cooking, make a batch of spicy mayo for dipping! All you need is mayonnaise, ketchup, and sriracha sauce.
How to Make Homemade French Fries in Air Fryer
Step 1: Cut the potatoes into semi-thin strips. Rinse them under cold water or let them soak in a bowl of cold water for 20 to 30 minutes.
How long to cook French Fries in Air Fryer?
The thinner you cut the potatoes, the faster the fries will cook in the air fryer. French fries should cook for 10 minutes in the air fryer before being flipped and stirred, then cooked for another 10 or 15 minutes. They’re done when they begin to turn golden brown and crispy.
Every air fryer is different so you may not get the same results. It’s always best to taste one of the fries before taking them out of the air fryer to ensure they’re cooked through and to your liking.
Tips and Variations
- Want perfectly sized fries? A vegetable cutter will help chop the potatoes into even strips.
- Peel or no peel? Leaving the potato peel on will help the fries crisp up but you can remove it if you wish.
- What are the best potatoes for homemade french fries? I recommend using Russet, Yukon Gold, or red potatoes in this recipe. You can try this method using sweet potatoes but they may have a harder time getting crispy.
- Work in batches if you need to. You want the fries to cook in an even layer rather than piled on top of each other. Cooking in batches will help the fries cook evenly.
- Feel free to play with the seasonings. Sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, cajun seasoning, chili powder, or paprika on the potatoes to give your fries a boost of flavor.
Serve the fries with any dip you like! Swap the spicy mayo for plain ketchup or make things more interesting with a batch of my Mozzarella Cheese Dip or Hatch Chile Dip.
Storing and Reheating Leftover Fries
To store – Store leftover french fries in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 or 2 days.
To reheat – Place the fries inside the air fryer basket and cook at 400ºF for 5 to 10 minutes or until crispy and heated through.
More Air Fryer Snacks
Make these healthy snacks without much oil for movie night or bring them to your next party:
How to Make French Fries in Air Fryer
Air Fryer Fries
- 1 lb russet, golden or red potatoes washed & scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or any oil of your choice
- salt and black pepper to taste
Shiracha Mayo - 100% Optional
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon shiracha sauce 100% optional - more or less, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese 100% optional - finely grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
- Preheat the AIR FRYER to 400F. Cut about 5-7 golden potatoes into semi-thin strips. I like to use Vegetable Cutter for cutting potatoes.
- Rinse potato strips in cold water. Then pat dry potatoes with paper towel. After toss fries with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil, salt and pepper to taste, then add them to the air fryer and cook for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, stir the fries with a wooden spoon then air fry for another 10-15 minutes, or until desired crispy texture.
- While french fries are cooking, lets make the spicy mayo sauce - combine 1/2 cup of mayo with 2 tablespoon of ketchup and 1 teaspoon shiracha sauce, set aside (Feel free to adjust the sauce ingredients to your taste, or simply serve it with ketchup).
- Garnish with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and parsley. Serve with spicy mayo or ketchup. Enjoy!
- Store left over French fries in airtight container inside the fridge, to reheat place French fries inside the air fryer and cook at 350F for 5-10 minutes, or until crispy and heated thru.
Q. Do YOU like this Air Fryer Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Quote of the Day
Have a wonderful day!
Can you freeze the raw potatoes and then air fry from frozen?
Hi Sabrina, to be honest with you I have never done that, so I am not sure how it will turn out.
No problem here. Fries turned out perfect! I added a 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tap garlic powder with salt and oil. 10 minutes was plenty of time, 8 minutes for the 2nd batch, crispy and golden. Thanks a bunch for this great recipe..love it!!
Thank you Janie, for sharing your recipe review! Love how you added onion and garlic powder, sounds super yummy! 😀
Can you use russet potatoes to make these fries?
I don’t see why not! 😀
Pingback: 25 Easy Must-Try Air Fryer Recipes - Sparkling Boy Ideas
Got my new air fryer this morning. After letting it warm up from a winter freeze we’re having here, I decided that the test would be your recipe. I cut a small potato for the test. They came out beautifully just as directed. Thank you for this wonderful recipe. I’ll be making it for dinner tonight for my family. yum!
Pingback: 21 Best Air Fryer Snacks
Pingback: Air Fryer Meals – Resourceful You
Took 30 mins to do 6 potatoes ( 3 medium and 3 smaller ones ). I have a 6.5 qt Ninja Foodie My burgers were planned in accordence with the timing of the fries as per recipie. Unfortunately burgers were ready ahead of time Not a happy camper.
Sorry to hear this, Tony! The thickness of the fries plays a great role when cooking french fries. IF you cut potatoes into thin fries they will cook faster than thick french fries. Cooking in batches helps them cook faster too.
Fries would’ve kept fine in the oven under foil while you waited for your burgers to be finished. Hardly think it’s the authors fault your time management skills are shit Tiny.
What do you cover them with???
I cover air fryer lid.
I tried making these tonight but it took way longer than 20 minutes. It took 40 minutes for actual french fries.
Yes it’s taking way longer. I am currently making them and I’m 30 mins in and they aren’t looking close to done yet. I’m guessing an other 20 mins to get them the color in the pictures.
Sorry to hear this, Cassie. The thickness of the fries plays a great role when cooking french fries. IF you cut potatoes into thin fries they will cook faster than thick french fries. Hope this helps!
Pingback: 35 Best Air Fryer Recipes - Saving & Simplicity
Pingback: The Best Side Dishes To Pair With Chicken Wings - Forkly
Pingback: The Best Side Dishes To Pair With Burgers - Forkly