Best Buffalo Chicken Taquitos – Corn tortillas are stuffed with a cheesy, Buffalo chicken filling made with 2 kinds of cheese, shredded chicken, loads of seasoning, and of course the zesty, tangy, spicy Buffalo sauce that makes every bite a party for your taste buds! Air-fried until crispy on the outside, and warm on the inside, these crispy chicken taquitos are always a hit!
When YOU make this Chicken Taquitos Recipe please tag us @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
This chicken taquitos recipe is just one of the ways we love to use chicken and Buffalo sauce together! Of course, there are the traditional Buffalo wings that everyone loves, but there are also pizza toppings, nacho toppings, soups, chilis, salads, and plenty more ways to use that delicious tangy spicy flavor we can’t get enough of!
This time, we’re learning how to make Buffalo chicken taquitos in the air fryer! It’s basically a jazzed-up version of my Buffalo chicken dip wrapped in a corn tortilla and air-fried until crispy on the outside and warm and gooey on the inside.
Using leftover chicken or store-bought rotisserie chicken can make this recipe even easier!
These perfect little finger foods are a great easy appetizer for game days, New Year’s Eve, holiday parties, or an anytime snack.
They’re not deep fried so they’re lighter than traditional taquitos, but they still have that fabulous crunch on the outside.
Serve them with a ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping and some extra blue cheese crumbles and watch how quickly these disappear from the tray!
- Chicken Thighs: I use chicken thighs for this recipe because that’s usually what I keep on hand. I prefer dark meat for the flavor, and I find thighs more cost-effective than chicken breasts. This chicken taquitos recipe is pretty flexible, so feel free to use chicken breast, leftover shredded chicken, or use a rotisserie chicken you grabbed from the grocery store.
- Small Corn Tortillas: These are smaller and firmer than flour tortillas and they are a little sturdier and can hold all of that yummy Buffalo chicken filling without getting soggy.
- Buffalo Sauce: I use Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce, but you can use your favorite Buffalo sauce! This is what gives the filling a zesty, tangy, and spicy flavor.
- Cream Cheese: Bring it to room temperature about 30 minutes before. This way it’s easy to cream. Use the blocks of cream cheese, not the spreadable kind in the tub.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese: Freshly grated cheddar cheese makes the filling even more cheesy!
- Seasoning: Garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and ranch seasoning for the best flavor.
- Chopped Green Onion: We’re using onion in the taquito filling but don’t forget to save some for a garnish!
- Salt and Pepper: To taste
How to Make Chicken Taquitos
Step 1: Season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
Step 2: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken thighs until cooked all the way through.
Step 3: Remove the chicken to a cutting board and use knife to cut the meat by cutting it into small pieces.
Step 4: To the bowl with the chicken, add Buffalo sauce, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, and seasoning. Mix well to combine.
Step 5: Lay the tortillas out on a clean work surface and use an ice cream scoop to add an even amount of filling to each tortilla.
Step 6: Spread the filling evenly and roll the corn tortillas up tightly. Place them in the air fryer basket, seam side down. Lightly spray with oil.
Step 7: Air fry for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway. Enjoy with a side of Buffalo sauce, ranch, or your favorite sauce for dipping!
Tips & Variations for Homemade Chicken Taquitos
- For an easier time rolling corn tortillas, you might want to heat them up. Stack them on a plate, cover with a paper towel and pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- If you’re not interested in rolling your tortillas, feel free to leave them open-faced and enjoy them like a tostada!
- Do not overfill the shell. That’s why using a cookie scoop is a great idea so that you know that each one has the same amount of filling.
- Cut down on time and use pre-cooked shredded chicken!
- You can also decide to use flour tortillas if you prefer. These would be referred to as flautas. The same as taquitos, just larger!
- Use a different cheese if you’d like. I like cheddar, but Monterey Jack or Colby cheese would also be great. As would blue cheese!
What are chicken taquitos?
Chicken taquitos are just one version of filling that is often found in this Mexican rolled taco! They can be filled with beef or cheese too. They’re usually fried, either deep-fried or pan-fried in a bit of oil until golden and crispy on the inside.
What to serve with chicken taquitos?
If you’re serving them as an appetizer, it’s always a good idea to have a variety of dipping sauces. Extra Buffalo sauce, Ranch dressing, Blue cheese dressing, and even sour cream would be great.
Can I make them ahead of time?
Not entirely. The longer they sit, the soggier they get. However, you can make the filling ahead of time which will save you time in the long run.
Combine the Buffalo chicken mixture in a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and keep it refrigerated for up to 48 hours before assembling and air-frying your taquitos.
Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
- 4 chicken thighs skinless boneless
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 small corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon ranch seasoning
- 1/2 cup green onion sliced
- avocado oil spray or oil spray of your choice, or use a brush and lightly brush oil over taquitos
- Season chicken thighs on both sides with salt & pepper. Then preheat nonstick skillet with olive oil. Add chicken and fry until golden color on both sides and chicken is cooked thru (about 10-15 minutes depends on how big the chicken thighs are, the internal temperature should read 165 degrees F.).
- Transfer to a cutting board and cut the chicken into small pieces.
- Into a large bowl add chicken, buffalo sauce, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, ranch seasoning and chopped green onion. Give it a good mix, if needed season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the mixture and place it onto a corn tortillas. Roll them up into taquitos.
- Place into air fryer pan lined with parchment paper and lightly spray with oil. Air fry at 400F for 4-5 minutes on each side (total 8-10 minutes).
- Serve with buffalo sauce, green onion and ranch. Enjoy!
Q. Do YOU like this Homemade Chicken Taquitos Recipe?
Let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!