Tomato Salad – Ready in 5 minutes, this simple zesty tomato salad is made with tomatoes, sharp Romano cheese, and a creamy dill sauce!
When YOU make this Tomato Salad Recipe please tag us @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
If you love juicy, zesty, fresh tomatoes as much as I do, then you’ll love this tomato salad also as much as I do!
It’s an easy tomato salad recipe I whip up whenever I get the craving for something simple. It’s made with tomatoes and cheese and a creamy garlic and herb dressing made with Greek yogurt and fresh dill.
I kid you not, this is one of my favorite afternoon snacks. The kids love it too!
The combination of tomato and cheese never fails! Just think about it, a Caprese salad is made with bocconcini and tomatoes, tomato sauce and cheese are the base of any great pizza, and grilled cheese paninis with tomatoes are great. Of course, tomato soup and grilled cheese are also a dynamic duo!
Sometimes I’ll even add tomato slices to a serving of cottage cheese. There is nothing I don’t love about cheese and tomatoes and this tomato salad with cheese is exactly why!
Serve it as a snack, a light lunch, or a side salad. It’s ready in minutes and is made with ingredients you probably already have!
- Medium Tomatoes: You’ll need about 2-4 tomatoes. You can use Heirloom tomatoes or Roma tomatoes if you’d like. You can also use cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes cut in half. Or you can use a colorful combination!
- Hard Cheese: I used grated Romano cheese but any hard cheese will work. Mozzarella or cheddar are two other great choices. Feta cubes are also nice!
- Greek Yogurt: Plain Greek yogurt makes a nice thick creamy dressing and slightly tangy flavor.
- Minced Garlic and Fresh Dill: These add so much zesty flavor to the yogurt dressing. Fresh parsley can be used instead of dill if you prefer.
- Salt: To taste.
How to Make Tomato Salad
Step 1: Wash and dry your tomatoes. Slice them into small slices, cubes, or halves, depending on which kind you use.
Step 2: Place them in a medium bowl, and add your cheese, Greek yogurt, garlic, dill, and salt. Mix to combine.
Step 3: Garnish with fresh chopped dill and enjoy! Sometimes I like to add some cooked bacon on top too!
How to Cut Tomatoes for Salad
You’ll want to cut your tomatoes into bite-size pieces so they’re easy to eat. If you’re using larger tomatoes, you can cut them into quarters, if they’re medium tomatoes, cut them into small slices, and if they’re grape or cherry tomatoes cut them into halves.
Use a sharp knife to make slicing easier!
Ways to Enjoy Tomato Salad with Cheese
This simple salad is one you can use in a variety of different ways. I just love how versatile it is!
Sometimes I’ll even switch up the dressing and toss it in my creamy garlic yogurt sauce.
It satisfies any cravings for a refreshing light savory snack. Enjoy a bowl all on its own at any time of the day.
Have it for breakfast or brunch on a slice of toast or flatbread, like a pita.
Serve it on the side of grilled meat at your next BBQ or bring it to a potluck and watch how quickly it disappears!
- Dry your tomatoes after washing them. Tomatoes have enough juice, any excess water will pool at the bottom of the salad causing the yogurt sauce to be runny.
- Add some diced cucumber for extra veggies and a crunch element.
- Toss in some flaked tuna for extra protein.
- If you like red onions in your salads, go ahead and add some diced red onions to your tomato salad.
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
What you can do is prepare your veggies in advance. Wash them and chop them, then keep them separate in the fridge until you’re ready to combine your salad with the dressing. If you let it sit too long the juices will start to pool at the bottom of the bowl. Since it only takes a few minutes to combine, I’d say wait until just before serving to make it.
What if I don’t have Greek yogurt?
No problem! I like the thickness of Greek yogurt, but you can absolutely use regular plain yogurt too. It’ll work just as well.
How to store leftovers?
Keep them stored in the fridge in an airtight container. Enjoy leftovers for up to 3 days. As mentioned above, it’ll be a bit watery, but the taste will still be the same!
Tomato Salad with Cheese
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 cup cheese hard cheese, I used Romano cheese (grated)
- 4 oz Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dill chopped
- 1-2 clove garlic minced
- salt to taste
- Slice tomatoes into small slices or into cubes.
- Place tomatoes in a medium bowl, add grated cheese, Greek yogurt, minced garlic, chopped dill, salt and give it a mix.
- Garnish with fresh chopped dill and enjoy!
Q. – Do YOU like this Tomato Salad?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Quote of the Day
Have a wonderful day my friend!