BLT Sandwich – Learn how to make a BLT sandwich at home in minutes using a few quality ingredients including Rosemary focaccia, mashed avocado, and a creamy spicy mayo spread!
Fresh lettuce, crispy bacon, and juicy tomatoes are just the beginning of this classic sandwich and the perfect hearty lunch, quick and easy dinner, or even breakfast on the go!
This BLT sandwich recipe ranks right up there with the classics and I can’t wait for you to try my version of the best BLT!
I created it in celebration of National Bacon Lover’s Day (yes, there is a day for everything), and I know you’re going to love it.
It’s made on thick, soft, and chewy focaccia bread, slathered with a creamy chipotle mayo sauce, and layered with mashed avocado, crisp lettuce, juicy sliced tomato, and perfectly cooked bacon.
It’s made with just a handful of ingredients and is so easy to make but it tastes gourmet!
What is a BLT Sandwich?
B(acon) L(ettuce) T(omato) is what it stands for. Together the bacon, lettuce, and tomato have become a filling that is widely recognized and has since been used with other toppings.
I prefer mine with avocado, but others like cheese and other toppings. Some people add bacon, lettuce, and tomato to their hamburgers, chicken burgers, and wraps. They’ve even been used as pizza toppings!
With these step-by-step instructions, I’m going to show you how to avoid a soggy BLT, how to cook the bacon evenly, and how to make the ultimate spread. You’re going to love it!
What Goes into a BLT Sandwich?
- Thick-Cut Bacon: I much prefer to cook bacon in the oven. Not only does it prevent grease splatter but it also keeps the slices flat, which is great when adding them to a sandwich. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- For the spread: Mayo, Chipotle Peppers in Adobo, and lime juice make a creamy, slightly smoky, and tangy spread that is the perfect complement to the bread as well as the fillings.
- Avocado: Use a ripe avocado that is easy to mash. Not overly ripe where it’s turning brown, but just soft enough. It should still be bright green!
- Salt & Pepper: To taste.
- Lettuce Leaves: Washed, dried, and fresh lettuce leaves. Big lettuce leaves cut into 1-inch strips are what I use. Romaine lettuce is great because it lays flat, but use whichever you prefer.
- Sliced Tomatoes: You’ll need about 8 even slices. Not too thin, not too thick. If you like your tomatoes crisp, use ones that are slightly underripe. If you want juicier tomatoes, use bright red, ripe tomatoes.
- Rosemary Focaccia Bread: If you’re unfamiliar with focaccia, it’s essentially an Italian flatbread, although it’s not flat at all! It’s baked almost like a pizza dough and it rises to a nice thickness. It usually comes in a large rectangle, so if you slice it in half crosswise, and then in half again, you’ll end up with 2 large sandwiches. The dried rosemary on top is amazing!
What Type of Tomatoes Should I Use?
There is no right or wrong answer here. You can definitely use your favorite kind or whatever you have on hand. If you’re on your way out to pick some up, I recommend either Heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes as they’re a great size and easy to slice.
I cut them to about ⅜ thickness so they’re not overpowering anything else in the filing, but they’re not too thin and flimsy either.
How to Assemble a BLT Sandwich
Step 1: In a bowl, mix the mayo, chipotle peppers, and lime juice until combined. Set that aside.
Step 2: In a separate bowl, mash the avocado with lime juice, salt, and pepper. Set that aside.
Step 3: Grab your bread and lay the slices open. Spread the mayo mixture on all open sides so your sandwich will have some on the bottom and the top.
Step 4: On the bottom slice add ¼ of the lettuce, 4 slices of bacon (2 pieces cut in half), half of the avocado mixture, some tomato slices, the remaining lettuce, and 4 more slices of bacon.
Step 5: Repeat this on both sandwiches. Top with the other half of the focaccia and enjoy!
As you may have guessed, there is definitely room to make this BLT sandwich your own! Customize it the way you want by adding or removing ingredients or substituting for what you have on hand. Here are some ideas:
- Use a different bread. If you’re using thinly sliced bread or freshly baked bread, you are going to want to toast it first. This will help avoid soggy bread. Texas toast, whole wheat, and gluten-free bread can all be used.
- Add cheese: A slice of sharp cheddar cheese is a great addition! Whether it’s melted or not. Try it either way. Provolone, goat cheese, Havarti, or Mozzarella are also great options.
- Skip the mashing. You can also just slice your avocado instead of mashing it. If you’re not a fan of avocado you can skip it altogether.
- No chipotles? No problem, just use plain mayo, it’ll still be great! If you have sriracha, use that instead. You can also jazz up your mayo in a different way. Garlic aioli is another option!
- Extra veggies and greens. Is lettuce not quite enough for you? Add some microgreens and sprouts, swap the lettuce with baby spinach, or add sliced cucumbers to your sammy.
Want to go all out for breakfast? Try adding an egg! If you like this idea you’ll love my tomato bacon and egg sandwich too.
- When you’re done cooking your bacon, make sure to place them on paper towels to soak up any excess grease. This will also help to prevent a soggy sandwich.
- Make parts of it ahead of time and store them separately in the fridge. You can make the mayo spread, mash the avocados, and cook your bacon ahead of time.
- Squirt the avocado with lemon juice to prevent it from browning.
- Do not assemble your BLT sandwich until just before serving.
How many calories are in BLT sandwich?
This Big BLT Sandwich has total of 1214 calories.
- 8 slices bacon thick cut, baked in the oven for 10 mins at 400F
- 3/4 cup mayo more if desired
- 3 teaspoons lime juice divided
- 1 medium avocado ripe
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons chipotle pepper in adobo sauce finely chopped, or to taste
- 4 large lettuce leaves cut into 1 inch strips
- 6 slices tomato
- 1 Rosemary Focaccia bread cut in half and in half again to make 2 sandwiches
- In a mixing bowl combine mayo, chipotle peppers and 1 teaspoon of lime juice, mix and set aside.
- In a different bowl mix avocado with 2 teaspoons of lime juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Spread mayo mixture over bread slices. Onto the bottom bread slice add 1/4 of lettuce, 4 slices of bacon, half of avocado mixture, tomato slices, 1/4 lettuce and 4 more bacon slices. Top it off with the top bread slice and enjoy!
Q. Do YOU like this BLT Sanwich Recipe?
Let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!