Avocado Toast with Egg – made of crispy toast, creamy smashed avocado, then a layer of tangy, slightly spicy egg salad & salty bacon bits for a hearty, healthy, and protein-packed bite!
When YOU make Avocado Toast Recipe please tag us on @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
There are so many ways to make avocado toast but this avocado toast with egg is by far my favorite!
This quick and easy breakfast, snack, or lunch idea is one of my favorite post-workout meals, but it’s also an easy way to send my kids to school with full bellies knowing they’ll be satisfied with brain-healthy foods all day long.
You can customize it however you like, adding on extra toppings, keeping it plain and simple, or even toasting an extra slice of bread to make a sandwich. It’s up to you!
Ingredients for Avocado Toast with Egg
- Bread: I use two pieces of bread, but easily double or triple the recipe as needed. My favorite bread to use is ciabatta, but you can use whatever you prefer. Rye, sourdough, pumpernickel, whole wheat, whole grain, or any gluten-free bread you use.
- Avocado: A great way to use up your ripe avocados! You want them soft and ripe enough that they mash easily.
- For the eggs: Hard boiled eggs, mayo, finely diced red onions, paprika, garlic salt, black pepper, sriracha. This egg salad mixture has a bit of creaminess, tanginess, and spiciness but you can season it how you like.
- Bacon: Finely chopped cooked bacon for garnish adds a bit of salty smoky flavor and adds crunch. I highly recommend using real bacon and not artificial bacon bits. You can use turkey bacon for this as well, that’s another way we like to eat ours.
- Dill: Fresh dill on top is a great pairing with the eggs and is a nice finishing touch.
How to Make Avocado Toast with Egg
Step 1: First, in a mixing bowl, add the cooked eggs, mayo, red onion, bacon, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper, and sriracha (the amount depends on how spicy you want it). Mix well to combine and mash the eggs to your desired texture.
Step 2: Then, grab two pieces of bread, and pop them in the toaster until it’s toasted to your liking.
Step 3: Once they pop up, mash ¼ of the avocado on each slice of bread with a fork.
Step 4: Now, spoon the egg mixture overtop and spread it out evenly across the surface of the bread.
Step 5: Finally, sprinkle with cooked crispy bacon crumbles and a garnish of fresh dill. Enjoy!
Favorite Avocado Toast Toppings
There are all kinds of ways to ramp up the flavor and nutritional value of your toast! Here are just some of the ways I like to switch it up sometimes:
- Sprinkle on hemp hearts
- Add some nutritional yeast to the eggs
- Season with everything bagel seasoning
- A squirt of lemon juice in the avocado mash is a great way to brighten it up!
- Slice tomato or use cherry tomato halves and enjoy them on top of either the eggs or avocado
- Drizzle some spicy mayo on top
- Layer on some baby spinach
- Swap the plain avocado mash for guacamole
- Make it vegetarian and skip the bacon!
Can I make this toast ahead of time?
The assembled toast should be eaten right away, however, there are parts of this that can be made ahead of time.
Boil the eggs, cook the bacon and make the egg mixture ahead of time. Keep them stored in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble your toast.
If you don’t want cold eggs and avocado on warm toast, feel free to bring everything to room temperature a little ahead of time.
Can I mash the avocado ahead of time?
You can, but you want to make sure to do everything you can to avoid it turning brown.
Although, it’s bound to happen. What you can do is mash it in a small bowl, squirt lemon juice overtop, and immediately cover it with plastic wrap, getting as close to the mash as possible.
Some people say it’s helpful to add the pit in the bowl as well.
If you do see a layer of brown on top, not to worry. A gentle removal of that top layer is all you need to reveal the bright green underneath.
Is avocado toast healthy?
Absolutely! The entire recipe is high in protein and omega 3s, healthy fats, fiber, and whole grains from the bread, and loads of vitamins and minerals. It can be even healthier if you add nutrient-boosting toppings.
Because it’s full of fiber, protein, and good fat, it helps keep you full for longer so you’re not grabbing unnecessary snacks.
How much protein is in avocado toast with egg?
For every 1 slice of toast, there are 12 grams of protein. Double that if you’re making both slices for yourself!
How many calories is avocado toast with egg?
There are 477 calories in 1 slice of toast.
Remember, avocado toast calories are different from chocolate bar calories! Not all calories are equal 😉
Check Out More DELICIOUS Recipes
Cheesy Hot Beef Sandwich Recipe
Avocado Toast with Egg
- 2 slices bread ciabbatta is my favorite
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 2 eggs cooked and peeled
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons red onion finely diced
- 2 tablespoons bacon cooked and finely chopped, more for garnish (we also like to use turkey bacon)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- sriracha to taste
- dill for garnish
- In a mixing bowl add eggs, mayo, red onion, bacon, paprika, garlic salt, black pepper and sriracha to taste. Give it a good mix with a fork.
- Slice 2 bread slices (toast them if you like), then mash 1/4 of avocado on each bread slice using a fork.
- Now, add egg mixture over the top and garnish with crispy bacon and dill. Enjoy!
Q. – Do YOU like this Easy Avocado Toast Recipe?
Let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!