Creamy Baby Potatoes Recipe – a simple side dish that packs a lot of flavors! It’s made with tender baby potatoes smothered in a creamy garlic sauce all done in a skillet on the stovetop, so no need to turn on the oven!
It’s a quick and easy dish resulting in one of my favorite sides to a Ribeye Steak on the Stove or Bang Bang Chicken Recipe. Honestly, what don’t creamy potatoes go with?!
This simple and elegant side dish is perfect for serving a crowd for the holidays or as a simple side dish any night of the week.
They’re made by boiling the potatoes first until fork-tender, that adding them to the skillet along with some shredded carrots. The carrots aren’t overpowering in that it turns this into a potato and carrot side dish. No! The carrots are there as moral support and add lovely flecks of orange throughout the sauce.
The thick, rich cream sauce coats the garlic potatoes nicely making every bite saucy and delicious!
When YOU make these Creamy Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes, take a picture & DM me your Food on Instagram @MunchkinTimeBlog & tag #munchkinrecipes in your post, we would love to see your creation!
Ingredients Needed for Creamy Potatoes
- Baby potatoes: Also known as creamers, baby potatoes can come in a variety of types. It’s the size that makes them “baby” taters. I use Dutch yellow potatoes but you can use Yukon golds, fingerlings, or red potatoes if preferred.
- Oil: Olive oil is a great choice, but you can use what you have.
- Garlic: The finely chopped garlic added to this recipe is just enough to give it a beautiful garlicky flavor without overpowering the other ingredients.
- Onion: Chopped onion is a tasty aromatic that adds incredible flavor to the dish.
- Carrots: Use a boxed grater or food processor to shred or grate your carrots easily.
- Flour: This helps to thicken the sauce.
- Heavy whipping cream: A thick cream creates a rich sauce!
- Salt & pepper: To taste.
- Chopped parsley: A fresh herb garnish to finish!
How to Cook Baby Potatoes
Step 1: Make sure to scrub your potatoes clean before you begin! Bring a pot of salted water to a gentle boil over high heat. Add the potatoes to the water and reduce the heat to medium and cook until the potatoes are tender. To test them, pierce them with a knife. If there is no resistance, they’re done.
Step 2: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté finely chopped garlic for a minute until fragrant.
Step 3: Add the onions and continue to sauté for 5 minutes until they’re nice and soft. Then, add the grated carrots and sauté for another 5 minutes. Stir a few times.
Step 4: To make a roux, which is the base of a good cream sauce, we’re going to sprinkle flour over the sautéed onions and stir to combine. The oil and flour will create a paste surrounding the carrots and onions. Pour in heavy whipping cream and whisk continuously while the sauce comes to a gentle boil. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 5: Add potatoes to the garlic sauce mixture, stir until everything is combined and heated through.
Step 6: Garnish with finely chopped parsley and enjoy!
Cooking Potato Tips
- This recipe for creamy potatoes can be made even easier by cutting your potatoes in half for a quicker cooking time.
- Adjust the seasoning to your liking. If chopped parsley isn’t your thing, think about adding oregano, or rosemary. Adjust the amount of salt and pepper, or use a herb blend like Italian seasoning, if desired.
- Substitute butter for the oil. Cooking onions in butter gives off the most amazing aroma.
- For a lighter, thinner consistency, you can swap the heavy whipping cream for half and half. Some people like to add a bit of chicken broth to their sauce for extra flavor.
- Sprinkle in some cayenne pepper for a spicy kick, or Parmesan cheese for a cheesy finish!
What to Serve with This Baby Potatoes Recipe
These creamy baby potatoes are simple yet impressive! They can jazz up any regular potato side dish when you feel like making something a little different. We love them on the side of:
Bang bang chicken in the air fryer
Oven baked boneless skinless chicken thighs
Serve with a side salad or your favorite veggies and you’ve got a complete meal everyone will love!
Should I Peel the Potatoes First?
No! You don’t need to at all. The skin on these baby potatoes is thin and delicate and easily digestible. Plus, it provides a ton of vitamins and minerals.
What is the Best Way to Clean Potatoes?
You can gently scrub them using a scouring pad or the rough side of a kitchen sponge. Be careful not to tear the skin, but scrub well enough that you’re not seeing big patches of dirt anywhere.
I like to rinse my potatoes under water.
What if My Potatoes are Not All the Same Size?
Having similar-sized potatoes in the pot of boiling water is important for even cooking times. Otherwise, you’ll end up with some mushy overcooked potatoes or hard and undercooked potatoes, or both.
In order to avoid this, make sure to cut larger potatoes in half and keep smaller potatoes whole.
More Yummy Dinner Recipes:
Sweet and Sour Chicken with Pineapple and Peppers
10-minute Honey Garlic Shrimp Recipe
Super Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
Creamy Baby Potatoes Recipe
- 2-3 lb Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or any oil of your choice
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 cups onion chopped
- 2 cups carrots grated
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- First, lets boil baby potatoes, fill a pot with salted water & bring it to a boil. Add baby gold potatoes. Bring to a gently boil, reduce to medium heat and cook until baby potatoes are soft when pierced with a knife. Carefully drain water, set aside.
- Next, in large skillet preheat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a medium heat. Add 1 finely chopped garlic clove & saute for 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups of chopped onion and saute for 5 minutes, stirring few times. Next, add 2 cups of grated carrots and saute for 5 more minutes stirring few times.
- After, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour over saute onions and stir until combined. Pour in 2 cups of heavy whipping cream, stir continuously and bring it to a gentle boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add boiled baby potatoes to the skillet, stir with creamy sauce until combined and heated thru. Garnish with 1/4 cup of finely chopped parsley. Serve with Ribeye Steak on the Stove or Bang Bang Chicken Recipe. Enjoy!
Q. Do YOU like this Baby Potatoes Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from YOU!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Quote of the Day
This post was updated on June 2, 2022. The recipe didn’t change:D.
It sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing your awesome recipe.
You are welcome, Delores!
At the end I added some shredded cheddar cheese in also. The shredded carrots kind of looked like cheese and gave me the idea. Was a good addition
Thank you! I love the idea of adding cheddar cheese! Sounds amazing!
My husband doesn’t care for parsley too much so I subbed dried basil. I also added some dried mustard (just a little). This was absolutely delicious and so rich! Thanks for sharing, we’ll definitely have this again.
You are welcome, Beth!
I had to substitute the garlic because of a guest’s problem with digestion. I used paprika instead. Very pleasing . Mixes well with rosemary.
Oooo paprika with potatoes sounds amazing, Bety! Thank you for sharing your great recipe review!
Love it! Added shallot pepper and rosemary. I used powdered onion and garlic due to food texture sensitivity and it was delightful.
That sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing your awesome recipe review!
This was DELICIOUS!! Super easy to make and was a fan of the whole family. Will definitely be making it again!
Thank you Paige, so happy your family liked it!
Pingback: Cheesy Baked Chicken with Creamy Potatoes – Will & Work