Crazy EASY Crock Pot Pepper Steak Recipe – slow cooker dinner recipe, made with tender strips of seasoned steak, sweet bell peppers, and caramelized onions simmering in a thick and flavorful sauce.
Once you’ve seared the steak to lock in the moisture, all you need to do is dump the rest of the ingredients, cook it on low and slow, and serve it over mashed potatoes when it’s done! How easy is that?!
I also love a good slow cooker recipe for easy weeknights and lazy weekends. You prep it in the morning and it’s ready for you by the time you get home. My kids love this easy crock pot pepper steak recipe and I know your family will love it too.
Follow Munchkin Time on my favorite social media, where I share Recipe Updates & more:
See YOU there!!!
- Beef sirloin – Cut into 2-inch strips.
- Garlic cloves sliced – We’re slicing the garlic to give it enough aromatic flavor, but not overpowering it by mincing the garlic.
- Olive oil – Needed to help with searing the beef, giving it a nice brown crust on the outside.
- Montreal steak seasoning– A combination of herbs and spices typically meant for seasoning steak but you can use it on any protein.
- Water & cornstarch – We combine the two to make a cornstarch slurry. When mixed into the sauce it takes it from a runny liquid sauce to a thick rich gravy-like sauce.
- Beef broth – Adds a nice robust flavor to the sauce that pairs well with the seasoned beef.
- Sliced onion – Sliced onions that have been cooked down deliver a natural sweetness and cuts down the pungency. They’re just so good!
- Sliced red bell peppers – Adds a beautiful pop of color to the dish. It’s also a yummy sweet veggie!
- Diced red tomatoes – Lends a bit of acid and tomato flavor to the sauce.
- Soy sauce – Savory umami elements come from adding soy sauce to anything!
- Sugar – Cuts the acid of the tomato and balances all the other flavors in the sauce.
- Salt & pepper – To taste.
If you make Slow Cooker Beef Recipe would you take a picture and share it on Instagram by tagging @munchkintimeblog I would LOVE to see your creation ???? Thank you!
How to Cook Pepper Steak in a Crock Pot
Step 1: Prepare your steak strips by first cutting off any extra fat.
Step 2: Heat a cast-iron skillet or large saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and once it is hot, sear the whole steak on both sides until beautifully brown. Transfer to a cutting board and slice 2-inch strips against the grain.
Step 3: Add the strips to the crock pot, followed by the cornstarch slurry and the beef broth.
Step 4: To the slow cooker, you’ll then add the garlic, bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, soy sauce, sugar, and salt and pepper. Stir well to combine and cover with the lid.
Step 5: Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Once it is done and the smell makes your mouth water, serve it hot over spaghetti, sticky rice, or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
TIP: If you like your bell peppers a little firmer and not quite so soft, wait a bit and add them halfway through the cooking time.
Recipe Tips for the Best Crock Pot Pepper Steak
- Cut against the grain. The low and slow cooking method does a great job of tenderizing the meat. Even still it’s helpful to cut against the grain when you slice the strips. That way you cut the fibers short making them even more tender and easier to eat.
- Using a cast-iron skillet is a great choice for getting that brilliant sear.
- If you can’t find Montreal Steak spice, season the beef with whatever seasonings you have on hand. Garlic powder, cayenne, coriander, dill seeds, smoked paprika, you name it.
- If you want more veggies added to your dish you can always throw in some cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, or carrots for a little extra something!
- A different bell pepper. I use red bell peppers as that’s the classic choice. They’re sweet and not too bitter. If you prefer green, orange, or yellow bell peppers, use them instead.
- For a little extra smokiness, use fire-roasted tomatoes!
What to Serve with Steak Strip in Slow Cooker
My kids and I both love having it over mashed potatoes. It’s the best when the fluffy potatoes absorb all of that delicious sauce!
Some other choices are:
- Sticky rice
- Egg noodles
- Cauliflower rice
- Brown rice
- Italian salad
How Should I Store Leftover Crock Pot Pepper Steak?
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. It’s great for meal prep, if you’ve made lots, portion it out into individual containers and you’ve got lunch ready to go!
Can I Freeze It?
You can! This crock pot pepper steak recipe is very freezer-friendly. Once it has completely cooled
How to Reheat It?
If you have smaller portions, you can definitely just pop your dish in the microwave and reheat it that way. If you’re reheating larger amounts, you can toss it in the skillet on low until heated through. You may find you need a bit of liquid to thin it out.
Check Out These Must Try Recipes using Potato:
Crock Pot Pepper Steak
- 2 pounds beef sirloin cut into 2 inch strips
- 2-3 garlic cloves sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Montreal steak seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 2 large red bell peppers cut in half then sliced
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes cubed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove extra fat from the steak and season both sides with Montreal seasoning.
- On medium heat, in the cast iron or big skillet heat olive oil. Add steak and cook on both sides until beautiful brown color. Slice the meat and transfer to a crock pot.
- Mix water with cornstarch then pour it into the crock pot. Add beef broth. Add garlic, bell pepper, tomatoes, onion, soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Give it a good stir. Cover and cook on High for 3 - 4 hours, or cook it on Low 6 - 8 hours. Serve with hot spaghetti, sticky rice or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
Q. – Did you like this Steak Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Don’t miss another great recipe subscribe to Munchkin Time <— HERE!
Huge thank you goes to Fred Meyer Stores for sponsoring this recipe!
Thank you for stopping by!
Quote of the Day
Have a wonderful day!
This post was updated April 25, 2022. Recipe is still the same delicious.