Crazy EASY Crock Pot Pepper Steak Recipe – slow cooker dinner recipe, made with tender strips of seasoned steak, sweet bell peppers, and caramelized onions simmering in a thick and flavorful sauce.
Once you’ve seared the steak to lock in the moisture, all you need to do is dump the rest of the ingredients, cook it on low and slow, and serve it over mashed potatoes when it’s done! How easy is that?!
I also love a good slow cooker recipe for easy weeknights and lazy weekends. You prep it in the morning and it’s ready for you by the time you get home. My kids love this easy crock pot pepper steak recipe and I know your family will love it too.
Follow Munchkin Time on my favorite social media, where I share Recipe Updates & more:
See YOU there!!!
Ingredients Needed to make Pepper Steak:
- Beef sirloin – Cut into 2-inch strips.
- Garlic cloves sliced – We’re slicing the garlic to give it enough aromatic flavor, but not overpowering it by mincing the garlic.
- Olive oil – Needed to help with searing the beef, giving it a nice brown crust on the outside.
- Montreal steak seasoning– A combination of herbs and spices typically meant for seasoning steak but you can use it on any protein.
- Water & cornstarch – We combine the two to make a cornstarch slurry. When mixed into the sauce it takes it from a runny liquid sauce to a thick rich gravy-like sauce.
- Beef broth – Adds a nice robust flavor to the sauce that pairs well with the seasoned beef.
- Sliced onion – Sliced onions that have been cooked down deliver a natural sweetness and cuts down the pungency. They’re just so good!
- Sliced red bell peppers – Adds a beautiful pop of color to the dish. It’s also a yummy sweet veggie!
- Diced red tomatoes – Lends a bit of acid and tomato flavor to the sauce.
- Soy sauce – Savory umami elements come from adding soy sauce to anything!
- Sugar – Cuts the acid of the tomato and balances all the other flavors in the sauce.
- Salt & pepper – To taste.
If you make Slow Cooker Beef Recipe would you take a picture and share it on Instagram by tagging @munchkintimeblog I would LOVE to see your creation ???? Thank you!
How to Cook Pepper Steak in a Crock Pot
Step 1: Prepare your steak strips by first cutting off any extra fat.
Step 2: Heat a cast-iron skillet or large saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and once it is hot, sear the whole steak on both sides until beautifully brown. Transfer to a cutting board and slice 2-inch strips against the grain.
Step 3: Add the strips to the crock pot, followed by the cornstarch slurry and the beef broth.
Step 4: To the slow cooker, you’ll then add the garlic, bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, soy sauce, sugar, and salt and pepper. Stir well to combine and cover with the lid.
Step 5: Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Once it is done and the smell makes your mouth water, serve it hot over spaghetti, sticky rice, or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
TIP: If you like your bell peppers a little firmer and not quite so soft, wait a bit and add them halfway through the cooking time.
Recipe Tips for the Best Crock Pot Pepper Steak
- Cut against the grain. The low and slow cooking method does a great job of tenderizing the meat. Even still it’s helpful to cut against the grain when you slice the strips. That way you cut the fibers short making them even more tender and easier to eat.
- Using a cast-iron skillet is a great choice for getting that brilliant sear.
- If you can’t find Montreal Steak spice, season the beef with whatever seasonings you have on hand. Garlic powder, cayenne, coriander, dill seeds, smoked paprika, you name it.
- If you want more veggies added to your dish you can always throw in some cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, or carrots for a little extra something!
- A different bell pepper. I use red bell peppers as that’s the classic choice. They’re sweet and not too bitter. If you prefer green, orange, or yellow bell peppers, use them instead.
- For a little extra smokiness, use fire-roasted tomatoes!
What to Serve with Steak Strip in Slow Cooker
My kids and I both love having it over mashed potatoes. It’s the best when the fluffy potatoes absorb all of that delicious sauce!
Some other choices are:
- Sticky rice
- Egg noodles
- Cauliflower rice
- Brown rice
- Italian salad
How Should I Store Leftover Crock Pot Pepper Steak?
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. It’s great for meal prep, if you’ve made lots, portion it out into individual containers and you’ve got lunch ready to go!
Can I Freeze It?
You can! This crock pot pepper steak recipe is very freezer-friendly. Once it has completely cooled
How to Reheat It?
If you have smaller portions, you can definitely just pop your dish in the microwave and reheat it that way. If you’re reheating larger amounts, you can toss it in the skillet on low until heated through. You may find you need a bit of liquid to thin it out.
Check Out These Must Try Recipes using Potato:
Crock Pot Pepper Steak
- 2 pounds beef sirloin cut into 2 inch strips
- 2-3 garlic cloves sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Montreal steak seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 2 large red bell peppers cut in half then sliced
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes cubed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove extra fat from the steak and season both sides with Montreal seasoning.
- On medium heat, in the cast iron or big skillet heat olive oil. Add steak and cook on both sides until beautiful brown color. Slice the meat and transfer to a crock pot.
- Mix water with cornstarch then pour it into the crock pot. Add beef broth. Add garlic, bell pepper, tomatoes, onion, soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Give it a good stir. Cover and cook on High for 3 - 4 hours, or cook it on Low 6 - 8 hours. Serve with hot spaghetti, sticky rice or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
Q. – Did you like this Steak Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Don’t miss another great recipe subscribe to Munchkin Time <— HERE!
Huge thank you goes to Fred Meyer Stores for sponsoring this recipe!
Thank you for stopping by!
Quote of the Day
Have a wonderful day!
This post was updated April 25, 2022. Recipe is still the same delicious.
Love this recipe! I served it over cauliflower rice, and it was a big hit. And it was so easy to make.
That sounds delicious, Deborah! Thank you for giving this recipe a try!
Very tasty, yet simple recipe. We had it over white rice. We will def make this again!
Woohoo! I am so happy you liked it Kirstin! 😀
What if I don’t have beef broth or soy sauce ? Can I use something else ?
Hi Valeria, you can use chicken or vegetable broth instead of beef broth, instead of using say sauce you can use salt or Worcestershire sauce. Hope this helps!
My family absolutely loves this recipe! We may or may not have fought over leftovers for work the next day!
My appetite and fork are ready! This fabulous crockpot pepper steak is cooking in my kitchen. Everything smells delicious! Thank you for this delightful new recipe.
Thank you for rating this recipe Denay! I am glad you enjoyed it!
Pingback: Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party #281 - Lou Lou Girls
this was fabulous! And different! And easy! Saving this recipe for sure – thanks much!!
So glad you like this recipe~ Thank you for the recipe review!
This recipe was excellent. Did not make any changes and served with rice. It’s a keeper! 5 stars
Thank you Ashley for the recipe review! I am so glad you like this recipe!
I made this tonight in my knock off instant pot. I sautéed the meat, added the garlic and 3/4 of a tin of petite diced tomatoes, beef broth, other seasoning and salt & pepper. Used pressure cook setting for 20 minutes and let it naturally release for 10, then quick released the rest. Thickened with tapioca flour (gluten free) and adjusted seasoning. I have a thing with mushy veggies, so I sautéed the peppers and onions on the side, served with white rice.
My husband almost cried he was so happy. It reminded him of what his mom cooked for his brothers birthday every year. The meat kept its shape while being amazingly tender.
Thanks for the recipe!!!
Wow, April! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe adjustments and review! I am so happy to hear that your husband like this Crock Pot/ Instant Pot Pepper Steak, it is amazing how it reminds him of what his mom cooked for his brothers birthday every year! What a surprise!!! Thank you so much for sharing this, it is one of the best recipe reviews! Best wishes, Love!
What is Montreal steak seasoning? Never heard of it here in CA.
Hi Barbara! You can find Montreal steak seasoning in any food stores like Fred Meyer, Safeway, Albertsons, or Walmart in the spices area, I hope that helps!
So SO mouthwatering! I haven’t made this recipe for a long time. But I made it yesterday again and oh my goodness.. I just had to leave a comment. SO GOOD.
Thank you sooo much Masha! I am so glad you enjoyed this pepper steak recipe! 🙂
How do you get the sauce to thicken up?
Hi Shannon, there are two ways you can thicken up this sauce. First one is my using 2-3 tablespoons of water and adding 1 – 2 tablespoon of flour, give it a mix and pour in into the sauce bring the sauce to gentle boil, mixing until thicken texture. Second way is by using 2-3 tablespoons cold water and mixing in 1 – 2 tablespoon of corn starch, mixing it well and mixing it into the sauce. Hope this helps!
1/2 cups of beef broth or some other measurement?
Hi Julia! Yes it is 1/2 cup beef broth. Thank you so much for asking I will update the recipe.
Hello! It says 1/2 beef broth. Is that 1/2 cup of beef broth or some other measurement? Thank you!
What kind of tomatoes did you use cause there two different types with the pictures?
Hi Jen! This is a very good question, I used what I had in my fridge which were cherry and tomatoes on the wine.
It’s in the crockpot!!! I’m sure it’ll be delicious!
Thank you Laura! 🙂