Best Beef Stroganoff is made with seared strips of tender juicy beef simmering in a thick and creamy homemade mushroom sauce infused with the flavors of caramelized onions and Montreal steak spice. Served over your choice of pasta or cooked golden potatoes and dinner is served!
When YOU make this Beef Stroganoff Recipe please tag us @munchkintimeblog on Instagram, we would LOVE to see your creation!
This easy beef stroganoff recipe screams retro 1950s comfort food and that’s exactly what we love about it! Originally a Russian dish, stroganoff has been adapted to a variety of different versions and this one just happens to be my favorite!
A traditional hearty dish that has stood the test of time is a delicious homestyle dinner perfect for busy weeknights and cozy (aka lazy) weekends!
Although this recipe is perfect just the way it is, keep reading for some tips and tricks on how to tweak the recipe to suit your tastes.
Once you try this beef stroganoff, I promise it’s going to quickly become one of your family favorites too!
- New York steak – This is one of our favorite cuts. Sliced thin and fat removed, it’s a nice tender bite.
- Montreal steak spice – A spice blend that is available at most grocery stores. It’s used in the sauce and for seasoning the steak before searing it.
- Coconut oil or ghee – Either one works to sear the beef. It helps to create a nonstick surface and to add a bit of extra moisture and flavor to the meat.
- Butter – Is there anything better than the aroma of sautéed onions in butter? I didn’t think so!
- Onion – Chopped and cooked down until caramelized color. This brings out the natural sweetness in the onion and gives the sauce a delicious base.
- Brown mushrooms – I like to use sliced brown mushrooms because they tend to have more flavor than white button mushrooms do.
- Flour – When added to the butter and onions, it creates a roux. This helps to thicken the sauce.
- Beef broth – store bought or homemade, the broth gets added to the roux which thins it out a bit making it into a proper sauce.
- Sour cream – Tangy sour cream turns the broth into a rich cream sauce.
- Salt and pepper – Added to taste.
- Parsley – Chopped fresh parsley is a great way to finish off this dish with a vibrant garnish
- Pasta or cooked potato – our favorite is cooked with a peel and then cubed golden potatoes for serving. Or pasta cook according to pasta directions.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
Step 1: Slice your steak into thin strips and season with the Montreal steak spice.
Step 2: Grab a large skillet (I love using cast iron when cooking steak) and preheat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium-high heat.
Step 3: Once it is hot, add the steak in a single layer, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Sear for 50-60 seconds, flipping halfway. Be careful not to overcook the steak. Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining steak, adding another 1 tablespoon of oil.
Step 4: Using the same pan, melt the butter and sauté the onion over medium heat until it is nice and caramelized. Stir a few times.
Step 5: Add the mushrooms and season with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of Montreal spice and sauté until the mushrooms are brown and soft.
Step 6: To the mixture, you’re going to add flour and stir for a minute. This is what’s called making a roux. It’ll become like a paste and start to give off a nutty aroma.
Step 7: After about a minute of stirring the flour, add a few splashes of beef broth until incorporated, and then add the remaining broth. At this point, you can deglaze the bottom of the pot too.
Step 8: Add the sour cream and bring everything to a gentle boil. Simmer until the sauce thickens. Stir occasionally.
Step 9: Return the beef to the skillet, submerge the strips in the sauce, and season with salt to taste. Garnish with finely chopped parsley and serve with boiled golden potatoes!
Tips for Making the Best Beef Stroganoff
- Slice your steak against the grain and remove excess fat. Doing this shortens the muscle fibers so when cooked it’s much easier to chew.
- It’s a fine line between searing the meat and overcooking it! You want a good sear to lock in moisture and flavor, but just be careful not to cook it for too long. Otherwise, it’ll be chewy.
- Be sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cook in batches if necessary. It’s especially important if you’re not using a large-sized skillet.
- If you’re not a fan of mushrooms (or your kids don’t love them) you can omit them completely.
- Instead of sour cream use a plain whole fat yogurt, it tastes just as good.
Why is My Steak Chewy?
Some cuts of beef will naturally be tougher than others. If you’re buying a cheaper cut, you may want to tenderize it a bit first, by putting it in between plastic wrap and banging it a bit to break up the fibers.
You also want to make sure to cut against the grain when you’re slicing the strips.
Finally, make sure not to overcook it! If it’s still a bit pink after the initial sear, that’s ok. You can always finish cooking it while it simmers in the sauce.
What Can I Serve with Beef Stroganoff?
What Type of Beef is Best?
Use any cut of beef you like (especially if it’s on sale). Boneless sirloin, flank steak, chuck roast, or rib eye are all great. If you have a ton of ground beef in the fridge, go ahead and use that!
Tastefully Simple Beef Stroganoff
- 1 1/2 lb steak we use New York steak, fat removed, sliced into thin strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Montreal Steak SPice divided
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 8 oz bella mushrooms sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- salt to taste
- parley finely chopped for garnish
- golden potatoes cooked and cubed for serving
How to Cook Steak
- Season sliced steak with 1 tablespoon of Montreal steak spice.
- Using a large skillet (I love using cast iron when cooking steak) preheat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium high heat. Once the skillet is hot add steak, try not to overcrowd, cook for 25-30 seconds on one side, flip and cook for another 30 seconds (be careful not to overcook the steak, or else it will be chewy).
- Remove meat onto a plate. Repeat with the rest of the beef strips by adding another 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
- Melt butter in the same skillet and add onion, sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is caramelized, stirring few times.
- Next add mushroom and season with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of Montreal steak spice and sauté until Golden color, 2-3 minutes. Stirring few times.
- After add flour and stir for 1 minute. Add few splashes of beef broth (I use this beef broth when I am out of homemade beef broth), stir until incorporated, then add remaining broth.
- Add sour cream, bring to a gentle boil and simmer until sauce thickens about 5 min stirring few times.
- Return the beef into the skillet, if needed season with salt and garnish with finely chopped parsley. Serve over cooked cubed golden potatoes or pasta. Enjoy!
Q. Do YOU like this Beef Stroganoff Recipe?
Let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!