Most Pinned on Pinterest Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup – if you love Panera’s broccoli soup you will love this Copycat Panera Broccoli Soup Recipe! You can have the great taste of Panera in your own home in about 35 minutes!
When YOU make Panera Bread Broccoli Soup Recipe PLEASE hashtag #munchkintimeblog on Instagram, I would LOVE to see your creation!
It is simple enough that you will be making it all the time! This broccoli soup recipe is easy enough that your kids can help you, you can make it after work without too much effort.
The soup will blow you away with the flavor it brings to the table! My family loves it when I make this soup, most of the time we can’t get enough of it.
My fall time dinners are most always soup, so be prepared for an overload of soup recipes.
Here are some amazing Fall Soup Recipes:
Quick & Easy Chili Instant Pot Recipe
Chicken Meatball Soup Recipe with Rice
Lately I have been craving Panera Bread Broccoli Soup every day and today I decided to make it and share my recipe with you!
In this recipe I will show you how to make Broccoli soup taste like Panera Breads recipe. You will not be disappointed!
So the most important part of the recipe in my opinion is the ingredients, and having fresh ingredients will take your dish to the next level! When choosing ingredients, I prefer organic and fresh ingredients but you can use what you prefer.
Each of these ingredients plays a very important flavor role in this recipe and you can feel free to add to it if you wish, but I love it just the way it is.
To make Broccoli Cheese Soup YOU will need:
- Half & Half
- Chicken Broth (I love using homemade chicken broth)
- Fresh Broccoli
- Shredded Carrots
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Bread Bowl
Now for this soup I use fresh organic broccoli, I love this recipe because broccoli is packed full of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Folates, Vitamin A, Phosphorus and Potassium!
Broccoli is a great source of fiber and a natural anti-biotic, it also helps prevent cancer and cleanses your intestines. You cannot go wrong with broccoli!
The next fresh ingredient I use is onion, onions are a great source of vitamins and minerals. I use yellow onions for this recipe because yellow onion is known as the cooking onion they cook up beautifully and add the perfect flavor for soups. Onions are known to help lower the risks of cancer, and prevents heart disease.
Onions are super veggies in my book. Moving on to carrots, everybody knows that carrots are great for eyes but that’s not all they are good for!
Carrots are both anti-bacterial and anti-viral they boost kidney and liver function and they do wonders for your skin! I want to go eat some carrots right now! Let’s get to fun part of this recipe shall we.
Panera and Cheese Soup
When it comes to prepping everything I like to have everything cut, measured and prepped beforehand. My girls love to help me in the kitchen and this is when I will let them help me.
- I start by chopping a medium yellow onion and set it aside. Then I will wash the broccoli and you want to cut the trunk off and then cut the broccoli into small bite size pieces.
- I like to let my girls cut the broccoli, you will need 1/2 lb. of broccoli, about 3 cups. Set the broccoli aside and if you already got shredded carrots then skip this next step.
- Shred 1 cup of carrots with a grater, be careful and watch your fingers. Then I measure out everything else and set it aside. You’ll need 1/4 cup of butter for this recipe.
- Measure ¼ cup of flour and 2 cups of chicken broth. Lastly you will need nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste and 8 oz of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, about 2 cup.
How to Make Broccoli and Cheese Soup like Panera
1. Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a pot on medium heat. Add onion and saute until golden color, about 5 minutes, stirring few times.
2. Next, sprinkle 1/4 cup of flour and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly.
3. Slowly add 2 cups of chicken broth whisking it with flour, then add 2 cups of half-and-half, whisk until everything is combined.4. Into the same pot add 1/2 lb of broccoli (about 3 cups), 1 cup of grated carrots and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Bring soup to a boil, turn the heat to low heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring few times.
6. Add a little sprinkle of nutmeg and 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese. Remove from the heat and stir the cheese into the broccoli soup.
Pour Copycat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup into a bread bowl. Garnish with more cheese and a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper. Grab a spoon and enjoy!
Q. – Do YOU like this Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 Medium onion chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 cups broccoli about 1/2 lb
- 1 cup carrot grated
- nutmeg little sprinkle
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese grated, about 2 cups
- salt and pepper to taste
- bread bowls
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a pot on medium heat. Add onion and saute until golden color, about 5 minutes, stirring few times.
- Next, sprinkle 1/4 cup of flour and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Slowly add 2 cups of chicken broth whisking it with flour, then add 2 cups of half-and-half, whisk until everything is combined.
- Into the same pot add 1/2 lb of broccoli (about 3 cups), 1 cup of grated carrots and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring soup to a boil, turn the heat to low heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring few times.
- Add a little sprinkle of nutmeg and 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese. Remove from the heat and stir the cheese into the broccoli soup.
- Pour Copycat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup into a bread bowl. Garnish with more cheese and a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper. Grab a soup and enjoy!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Quote of the Day
This recipe was updated in October, 2020.
Pingback: 30 Soup Recipes for Fall - Katie Drane Blog
This is so good. Today I surprised my Hubs, who wasn’t feeling well, with a bread bowl of this soup. I got the bread bowl in my local market for $1, gutted it, sprayed it with Butter Pam, and stuck it in my air fryer for 3 minutes at 400° to brown it. He was surprised and grateful. It’s his favorite soup.
OOOH this looks ssso good! One of my fav soups! adding to my list of recipes to try!! Thanks girl!
I made this soup and it was delicious! Making it again today !❤️
Woohoo! I am so happy you like it, thank you for rating and writing this great recipe review, Fay! I appreciate it!
I followed the recipe and we loved it, I just wished I could have taken some of the calories out!! Haha
Wouldn’t that be amazing!?! Thank you so much Linda for trying this recipe and for your awesome recipe review! 😀
I kept my fingers crossed this would taste like Panera but it didnt. I doubled the recipe as it made very little for a family of 3. I used Swanson chicken broth and Cabot cheddar and still just like a regular broccoli cheese soup! Bummer
Thank you Jessica for the review!
This recipe was tasty, however you have the final two steps backwards. The cheese should go in BEFORE the veggies, not last. The sauce breaks otherwise. If you add the cheese first it creates the desired consistency, of a cheese sauce/soup…by adding the veggies first and the cheese last it causes the sauce to break. Still tasty though! Be careful with the nutmeg, even a quarter teaspoon was a bit much. If you have access to a whole nutmeg, and microphone, that would be the way to go, adding just a touch!
I added a quarter tsp. Of dry mustard, paprika powder and cayenne, made a difference!
Just popping by to let you know I have featured you on my Tuesday Treasures post today! I loved your Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe – one of my favorites! Hope you can join us again this week at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop! Have a wonderful week!
Debi Thank you so much for a feature! I am so honored! I will be happy to join Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop again this week!
Pingback: Tuesday Treasures No. 3 - Surroundings by Debi
My favorite soup! Pinning this. Thanks for sharing at Thursday Favorite Things. I hope you will join us again this Thursday!
Thank you for pinning it and for stopping by!
Love love this soup at pan era bread!! Thanks a bunch for the recipe! Will try soon!!
You are very welcome Ami! It is one of our favorite soups too!
i am loving the sound of this soup! definitely need to recreate the recipe.. perfect for the winter weather in austalia!
I love this soup! Hope you will like it to. Thank you for stopping by!