Fried potatoes and eggs is a no fuss breakfast to pull together, and made with everyone’s favorite savory breakfast items – potato, bacon, eggs, sausage & cheese. THANK YOU Fried Onion Pieces and LiteHouse Spices for sponsoring this breakfast recipe.
It’s a meal that looks and tastes like it came straight off of a restaurant menu but making it at home will save you time and money. Your whole family will love it! Using the bacon and sausage grease to cook up the potatoes and eggs gives everything so much flavor. The herbs give everything a nice finishing touch, but of course, the melted cheese on top is my kids’ favorite part!
If you’re looking for a meatless version check out my delicious potato hash and eggs recipe!
Serve it as a special weekend breakfast or brunch for guests or a filling breakfast for your kids during the week. If you’re the kind of person who enjoys breakfast for dinner, this recipe for fried breakfast potatoes is a keeper!
Do You Need to Boil Potatoes Before Frying?
There is no need to boil the potatoes ahead of time. Thinly sliced potatoes will cook nicely in the skillet with just enough time for them to become tender and still have a bite to them.
Can I Use Frozen Potatoes?
To save a bit more time you can definitely use some cubed frozen potatoes or hash browns. The cook time might be slightly longer, but the convenience makes up for it!
Ingredients for Fried Potatoes
- Bacon – Regular or thick-cut will work for this dish. You want to make sure to chop it up first for faster cooking. You can decide how crispy you want yours.
- Smoked kielbasa, sliced – I love smoked sausage, but you can really use whatever kind your family likes.
- Butter – Along with the grease from the bacon and sausage, butter is added to the pan before the potatoes providing so much delicious flavor!
- Idaho potatoes – Peeled and thinly sliced. How thin is up to you, keep in mind the thicker they are, the longer they’ll take to cook.
- Eggs – Adding scrambled eggs into the mix because why not! Eggs, hash brown, and smoky sausage all in one? Yes, please!
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – I like to use Tillamook cheese, and I highly recommended to grate your own. It will melt (and taste) so much better than pre-shredded from a package.
- Seasoning – I love using Litehouse parsley spice & chives spice, finishing with a sprinkle of chives at the end.
- Salt and pepper – A simple seasoning of salt and pepper to taste.
How to Make Fried Potatoes for Breakfast
Step 1: Cook bacon on medium heat using a non-stick skillet. Cook until crispy in texture (as much as you’d like). Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Step 2: Add the slices of sausage and sauté until a nice golden color. Smoked sausage is already cooked, so no need to overdo it. Remove to the plate with the bacon.
Step 3: Add butter to the skillet to melt and toss in the sliced potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and cook until golden on both sides, flipping a few times with a spatula.
Step 4: Pour in eggs, sprinkle in parsley, and half of the bacon and sausage from the plate. Give everything a good stir and cook until the eggs are done.
Step 5: Finally, add the rest of the bacon and sausage back into the skillet and sprinkle the entire dish with cheese. Do not stir and allow it to melt on top. Garnish with chives and enjoy while warm with tomato salad or sour cream and pickles.
- Don’t discard the bacon and sausage grease before adding the butter for frying. It adds a ton of flavor!
- Using paper towels to soak up the excess grease from the bacon helps to reduce the amount of extra grease in the dish.
- For a bit more rustic look, feel free to keep the potato skins on.
Easy Ingredient Swaps
- I love using Idaho potatoes, but by all means substitute red potatoes, Yukon golds, or even Russet potatoes if you’d like.
- For a little added heat, switch the smoked kielbasa to spicy sausage, or add a little diced jalapeno or red pepper flakes in there.
- Cheddar is a classic flavor to use with potatoes and chives, but you can really use whatever cheese you like. Colby, Monterrey, even feta crumbles would work.
- Play around with the seasoning and use what you like. Garlic powder, seasoning salt, smoked paprika, a little cayenne, Italian seasoning, you name it!
What Goes with Fried Potatoes?
These fried potatoes are already complete with eggs, sausage, and cheese, however, if you’re serving a crowd a big meal you might want to think about some accompaniments.
- Pickled Red Onion
- Sliced Avocado
- Tomato Salad
- Sliced tomatoes, bell peppers or cucumbers seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Tomato Salsa
- Sour Cream or spicy sauces like Sriracha
- Fried Onion Pieces
Drinks like this caramel blondie coffee recipe, or Italian dessert coffee ice cream for a special treat. The kids will love this purple berry smoothie recipe and if you’re having breakfast for dinner don’t forget to include a pitcher of Mojitos!
Fried Breakfast Potatoes
- Non-stick Skillet
- 6 slices bacon more if desired, sliced
- 1 cup smoked sausage sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 3-4 medium Idaho Potatoes or any potatoes of your choice, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup sharp Cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Litehouse parsley more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon Litehouse chives more for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add sliced bacon to non-stick skillet and cook over medium heat until crispy texture, about 5-7 minutes, stirring few times. Remove from the skillet onto a plate lined with paper towel.
- After, add sliced sausage and cook until nice golden color about few minutes, flipping on the other side once. Remove in to a plate with bacon. If you wish remove the bacon grease or leave about 1 tablespoon of it inside the skillet.
- Next add butter and sliced potatoes into the skillet, season with salt and pepper to taste, cook on medium heat until cooked thru and nice golden color, about 10-15 minutes. Using a spatula flipping on the other side few times.
- Now, add 4 eggs, parley and chives spices and half of bacon and sausage. Stir them in, cook until eggs are cooked thru about 1-2 minutes, stirring few times.
- Lastly, add the rest of bacon and sausage back into skillet and sprinkle cheese over the top, cook until cheese melts, with NO stirring. Garnish with dried chives or parsley. Enjoy while warm with tomato salad or sour cream and avocado.
Did YOU like this Fried Breakfast Potatoes Recipe?
Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thank YOU for YOUR Comment, Share & Recipe Review!
Quote of the Day